Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Lee - RMX question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveDeVille, May 5, 2004.

1. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Bob ,
    i recently acquired an RMX2450 , and was wondering if it's
    possible to run one 8 ohm{500watt } cabinet on channel 1 , and at the same time run one 4 ohm{600watt} cabinet on channel 2 ?? i don't know if i'll ever run into this situation , but i'd like to know anyway ...{ right now i'm using two 8 ohm cabinets rated @ 500watts each }
    i have the amp set in parallel {sp} mode , so it's pushing about 500 watts into each cabinet .

does this sound like an ok thing to do ? does the amp automatically change ohm load for each cabinet ? :confused:

wow, it seems the longer i live , the more i find myself clueless ... :meh:

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I know I'm not Bob lee. But I do know that it's fine to do that.

3. Yes it's OK. Essentially a solid state stereo power amp is two power amps in one unit. When you're running in stereo or parallel mode one amp doesn't care what the other one is doing.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hey Dave, I'm just curious....

where DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS might you be from, my friend?

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree you can do that. I think you can even use one channel for your bass rig and the other channel for something else completely (i.e., the channels are independent in stereo mode), but I've never done it, so I'm not 100%.

6. Absolutely. You can arc weld with the other channel.

:D

(JK about the welding thing) :)

7. DaveDeVille

layin' it down , in San Antonio { GO SPURS !! } :D

i've only ever been thru Waco once , { on my way to Canada } but i don't really remember much cuz' i was only about seven years old ...

thanks to everyone who chimed in on this question , this is a great place to learn !
    i may someday run two different cabinet set ups , and this helps ease my mind about not burning up my amps ...
    :cool:

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't see anything in the PDF that would make me think you CAN'T do that... They ARE seperate channels. Plus, seperately, it can drive down to 2ohms.

BTW, according to the PDF, 8ohms load generates 500w, & 4ohm loads generate 750w... not 600.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yup. Two channels, with which you can do two different things if you need to.

The amp doesn't change anything (and it can't change the load impedance, but you can); it just keeps doing the same thing.

10. DaveDeVille

McHack --
    that's cool ! my 4 ohm cab is a Bergantino HT310 , rated at 600 watts , but i know i can pump the 750 watt rating into it ... :D

many thanks , Bob :cool: i figured you'd respond :D

11. Yup. I ran the right side of my SWR SM 900 for the vocal monitors after we were having some problems with the bars power amp. Had to take my rig out of 800 watts bridged mono and use only the lefts sides 350watts,... but it's all for the show right? :)

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey, if the show goes on, that's good. It's better than packing it in early.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OH! Well, be careful with that. You don't wanna fry a driver.
    Sounds like a smokin' rig. Of course,,, not literally.

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    David,

If ever you're using the 310 by itself, you might try bridging the 2450 into it...I use my HT 210 both alone and with the HT115 in bridge mode, and it sounds much better than in stereo mode. The Bergies really love having headroom behind them, just be careful with how hard you actually push it.

-Aram

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    david, i'm in san antonio as well. i'm sending you an email...

:)

16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i like the title of this thread. we need like a bat signal or something for these super expert guys like bob.