Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Lee!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Nov 22, 2002.

1. The folks at the Harmony Central forum said you may be able to help me. My amp clips at a relatively low setting and I'm trying to find out why.

I'm using a QSC RMX850 with a SansAmp RBI trough an Ampeg BSE410HLF cabinet.
    Look at the attached picture of my settings.

The power amp is bridged for 830w at 4 ohms

The cab is a 4 ohm cab.

If I turn the power amp up (left knob on power amp) any more than shown in the photo it clips.

If I turn the level or Drive on the SansAmp any more than shown in the photo it clips.

***!!!!??????

I've disconnected the BBE and Craptacular Alesys compressor to rule them out.

Could it be the cabinet?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    till Bob arrives- how are you connecting the amp to the cab_ are you using a speakon or a banana? to get true bridge on my QSC 2404 - i have to use a banana and use the two red "hot " posts - when i did that- i gauned tons of headroom- nowhere neqar clipping now- but your problem could be something else.. just a thought- good luck-

3. I'm using a speakon. I'm willing to try the bannana plugs tho.

Thanks.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    at least on my QSC 2404- a speakopn woul dnot give me true bridged-- look back there at the speaker posts and see if they show a diagram saying bridged around the 2 red posts- buy a banana plug and connect it as shown- if youre running at 4 ohms- you will get all your amp has to offer- i ran my amp with a spekon for a while wondering why i had no headroom at 24oo watts into a 4 ohm cab- Jim Bergantino showed me how to connect it correctly- make sure , though, that a diagram shows both red posts as being the "bridged" connection- ill take a pic of mine later and show you-

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ok, here we go.. this should get you lots of headroom.. i know, i just realized i need to wipe the back of my amp..:)
    [​IMG]

6. What type of cable should I be using to connect my Pre-amp to my Power amp? Inst. or speaker?

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hey, now.. that's what we're here for-- :D
    definitely NOT speaker!! :eek:

8. Cool, I've been using an instrument cable.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    OOOOPS!!!!! that could have something to do with your prob..

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Adrian is correct. You have to use the right cable and connect it to the right posts. Bananas on the QSC. Make sure you use the middle or red ones. This should make all the difference. Use the power amp as your volume.:)

Rob

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Also, look at your manual for the amp. You might have to flick a couple switches on the back to put it in bridge mode. It's that way on the PLX series

Rob