Bob Rock playing bass on I disappear?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 13, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I recently read an article in a guitar magazine saying Bob Rocks first bass playing expirence was recording i disappear with Metallica, this dosent make any sense since Jason was still in the band at the time. Any thoghts or ideas on this?.
  2. if that's true, all the more credit to Jason Newsted for quitting.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Newstead was in the video for it too. Wow... to think... Bob Rock could have been the one to perform the "awesome stunt" of being pushed around in a crowd. :rolleyes:
  4. :D that video sums up what a raw deal Newsted was getting. they should have taken it further and had him in a straitjacket, a heavy steel ball chained to his ankle, gagged as well.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I just thought it was funny...

Kirk Hammet - Chased by an airplane, narrowly escaping death.

James Hetfield - Stunt driving around town, gets to drive a badass car, jumps and fun stuff.

Lars Ulrich - Jumps out of an EXPLODING building.

Jason Newsted - A crowd pushes him around. :p
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sorry, but Bob Rock must be an idiot.

He said when he was playing bass for the new album, he didn't have a DI on alot of tracks.

or a mike on the bass amp/cab itself.

He said the sound he was getting by the bass just bleading thru the drum mikes was "Great":rolleyes: .

Note to self, never get bob rock to produce ANYTHING i EVER write.

Goofy Idiot.
  7. Bob Rock did a pretty good job of producing the Cult's Sonic temple, eponymous and Beyond good and evil albums. lotsa nice bass tones there.

St.Anger baffles me though- they could have released anything and it would have sold millions just because it's Metallica.
    so they record it scrappily, don't even bother getting a full-time bass player, and then chuck in a DVD of Trujilo playing the songs with them as a stopgap afterthought. :rolleyes:
    no thanks.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the bass line for i disappear was the most noticeable out of all the new stuff Jason played with them. Garage INC was probably the best all around mix that Jason did with them.