Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Ross appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Feb 3, 2006.

1. While I admit that superbassman2000 sparked the idea, I'd like to dedicate this appreciation thread to Bob Ross. You know, the "happy painter". I used to love that guy, and watched him all the time as a little kid.

I remember being pretty bummed when I found out he passed away.

Anywho, R.I.P Bob.

2. DAMN! I would have NEVER expected to see a Bob Ross thread on here, so I didn't search first. :meh:

Oh well. Live and learn. My apologies.

Touché, Sno :)

3. he stll is pretty much the man...

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

His Show is a very calming expirence for me , i wish i could catch it on TV more often.

5. I have a feeling this will be a happy little thread.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Our local PBS affiliate has been airing several episodes of "The Best of the Joy of Painting", and I love it. I can't speak to the quality of the art, but for me the show is relaxing and enjoyable to watch.

I got my DVR queued up to record a handful of episodes.

-Mike

7. My 12-yr-old son's school held an event last night where the 5th-8th graders each dressed & acted as a particular artist, composer, sculptor, etc. Parents & visitors were allowed/encouraged to ask *yes or no* questions & try to determine who the kids 'wer'(my boy was a very convincing- IMO- Richard Wagner)'. :D
    I was EXTREMELY dissappointed to find NO ONE portraying Mr Ross.

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    EP, you know there's no new ideas.:D

9. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    Spent many, many hours on the couch "appreciating" Bob's work. We even ordered his book. This is little further than I was willing to go though.

[​IMG]

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Those of you that use Ableton Live will get this. Those of you who don't well...[​IMG]

11. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Who else can take a paintbrush to a gunfight and win every time? Bob Ross was and is still the man.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    [​IMG]
    Bob Ross: The Chuck Norris of painting

[​IMG]

13. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I watched him religiously every night when I was about 15. I still quote him when things get sticky.

It's not a mistake, fellas. It's a happy accident.

14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Beat the devil out of it. Hehehehe.

15. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    happy painting, God bless, my friends....

16. I still agree--his zen-like attitude is admirable. As for the quality--I think it's pretty good quality...granted it's not ground-breaking or controversial, but not all art has to be.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't know much about art, but I was always impressed when a realistic looking cabin our mountain or stream or whatever appeared on the 2 dimensional canvas. I would often fall asleep before the end of the episode as his voice was so calming. It was like listening to your father tell you a bedtime story or something. Amazing.

18. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I'd say for a piece he'd spend a half hour on, the quality was acceptable.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    [​IMG]