Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Ross the painter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 26, 2005.

1. hello crew,
    so i just got done watching bob ross paint a masterpiece in a half-hour. this guy is simply amazing. i have never seen such talent in this century! in about 15 minutes he can paint the most amazing pictures, and he doesn't even have a model or picture to go off of. in one or two swipes of his brush, he seems to make the most perfect (anything really) that you've ever seen. does anyone here have an opinion on him? anybody agree with what i say?

Charlie

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's good at what he does, and he was a very happy guy. I think his paintings are pretty damn terrible, as does the majority of the fine art world, but they make people happy, so that's what counts.

He's akin to Thomas Kincaid; both have achieved wide public popularity while recieving almost complete disdain from the art world. I still prefer Ross' paintings to Kincaid's stuff-there's really not much positive I can say about his paintings.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

While not one of my faves as far as artists go, the guy definately has skillz. Keen understanding of color and really great technique.

One thing he did that I thought was really cool was he pasted some canvas paper onto his canvas, painted his usual wilderness scene, then tore off the canvas paper to make it look like you were looking at the scene through a window.

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Lets make some happy trees and fluffy pretty clouds. You guys know he is dead dont ya?

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I never really liked his style so much, but he was an awesome guy on TV nonetheless. "You know what I think this painting needs? A nice happy tree..." He seemed more like one of those therapists that use art as a tool. Kinda like music therapy.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    RIP Mr. Happy Clouds :(

I loved the calming effect the show had on my day... prefect prequil to a summer mid day nap in the old mans recliner

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll try:

He makes it easy for the calender makers?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "shudders"

11. This guy was better that quayludes!!!!! I loved falling asleep thinking about a "Happy little stream" reflecting "happy little trees" in the "forest were they live"

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah.. the art community bashed him pretty hard- "He only does one style"// "His technique is limited" and so on. Art I have realized, is a very very hypocritical world unto itself. Things liek style and technique are only thrashed if you don't have some kind of cultural outcrying or emotional issue (emo...) to whine against. In general it seems that there is often no rhyme or reason to what gets shot down. The real reason art snobs hated him? He was so dang happy and loved what he did, and everyone loved him, adn they couldn't STAND it. Their "Revolutionary" work that looked like a horse's vomit on a canvas isn't liked by anyone except otehr art snobs and they hate that. Just my 2 cents. Bob was the man.

13. i think you guys are missing my point.
    i am saying that he can make a painting like this:

[​IMG]

in a 30 minute show...

can any of you guys do this?
    Bryan T, you don't count, you are really good!

i cannot do that if i took 30 years!

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's not quite true...the college I went to was one of 2 (I believe it's 4 now) whose primary function is classical training, so it's not just abstract expressionists (or whoever) who don't care for his paintings. The main thing behind it for me is that he's way too technique-y (when you look at his paintings, the techniques he used to paint them stand out so much they detract from the painting itself), and that his use of light and color is much more akin to fantasy art rather than traditional landscape painting. But since his subject matter IS traditional landscape painting, it doesn't work. And keep in mind the "horse's vomit on a canvas isn't liked by anyone except otehr art snobs" has a lot more to it than you might want to think; that's like someone who listens to classic rock radio saying jazz is for jazz snobs, and that bass players like that Jaco guy was just a wanker who only played for other wankers.

One of the fun things in Ross' paintings is that sometimes he'll throw in something totally weird, like a tire off a river bank or something.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

That's why I said he's good at what he does-even if you don't like his work, you can tell he's got serious skills in the type of work he's doing. It also took Ross 30 years to be able to paint like that so quickly-so you could do it too if you got started now! :)

16. Bob Ross rocks, and I don't care what anybody else, let alone the "fine art world" says. :)

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Bob Ross rocked. He's DEAD!

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    He had serious skills in the type of work he did. He's DEAD!

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    People. He's DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.