Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bobbie Short RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Of leukemia. Not really a jazz guy, but certainly an employer of jazz guys. My old buddy Klaus Suonsaari played drums with him, when he first got to NYC...

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    ............never got to see him........oh well RIP

3. I think there used to be a Bobby Short type in every major city. They, of course, always play in the big hotels. They always sing and play...and as Ed says, they always hire at least a jazz bass player and sometimes a drummer.
    These are usually really great gigs for bassists because you learn a helluva lotta tunes and, if you're interested, as I am (was), you can learn alotta lyrics.

My Bobby Short kinda gig was here in Denver at a lounge in a hotel called the Senate lounge. The Senate was right across the street from the State Capital building.
    My 'Bobby Short' was a lady named "Effie,The Blond Tigress of the Keyboard" I started this gig the night I graduated from High School...I was 17 and it was 1959. Effie was a killer in the LOOKS department! She was a Marilyn Monroe type....tall, blond, with killer knockers, that she displayed as much as possible. She would play a few tunes on vibes and when she did, you could see the whole room part, to get a better angle to view her low cut dress, as she leaned over to play. Believe it or don't, she had a big diamond mounted in one of her front teeth!!!
    At 17, I was a little young to get anything goin', if you know what I mean, with her. However, we did get this 'younger brother...older sister relationship happening which resulted in Effie telling me the facts of life on our breaks...including her drawing certain things on a cocktail napkin!
    I stayed on this gig for about four years. As you can see, it was a great period in my life. I learned hundreds of tunes in all the keys, including lyrics. It taught me how to deal with people and basically was my "school of music and life"
    Effie is in NYC still doing the same stuff in some big hotel...I can't remember which one.
    Here's to all the Bobby Shorts of the world!!!!

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Amen!

I would love to have a steady gig like that, great experience and training

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Paul, was this the beginning of your "bathroom period ?"

6. I refuse to answer that question

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    In Detroit, that was probably Joe Hunter, who held down a place at the piano in the lobby of a hotel in Detroit for decades, until Alan Slutsky brought the Funk Borthers back into notional prominance.

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I regret I never got to see Bobby Short live. Every time I was in New York, I was too busy doing something else I *thought* was more important. I'm glad I at least heard him on recordings and saw him on TV.

My dad went to high school with Bobby Short; unfortunately, they did not know each other well.

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Paul, maybe Effie reads TalkBass. You know, maybe it's not too late...

RIP to Mr. Short. It will be one of my regrets never to have seen him in person.

10. So, in which Woody Allen movie did Bobby Short make a cameo appearance?

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Was it "Hannah And Her Two Sisters"? All those Woody flicks have kinda blurred together in my brain....

12. That's some pretty funny *** Damon. I just had a visual imagery kind of thing on that and cracked myself up....i'm 63 and she must be 73! :bawl:

13. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
  14. Ha!! That's her Pete....Thanks! She calls me once in a while. Still looks pretty damn good eh? Alot better'n me!
    Thanks again Pete!

15. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Absitively, Paul.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Paul, I'm surprised, and a little offended, that you would choose to bring up Effie's "killer knockers" in this forum.

I mean, c'mon, at least post a picture :eek: .

I wonder how many people would only remember Bobby Short as the guy who sang the "Charlie" perfume jingle back in the 70's.

17. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    When speaking of Bobby here in NY on the news, they spoke of him as being a very local celeb.

Curiously, no mention was made of him being the voice of Charlie perfume for so many years. I doubt there's anyone over 20 that can't remember that commercial...

18. F.O. :hyper:

19. Actually, I don't know the answer. I thought it was Manhattan but I'm not sure. I believe the film was produced earlier than Hannah.

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It was Hannah, he's on a date with Diane Wiest. He takes her to the Carlyle after she takes him to some punk club. They have a scene in Tower Records later in the film where they talk about that date.