Bobbin/pole pieces loose in P pickup, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CYoung, May 3, 2004.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I recently acquired a well-traveled Peavey Dyna Bass Unity series. It has a P-J pickup configuration. I am restoring the bass to playing shape and need some help.

Anyway, on the neck (P) pickup, the pole pieces are loose and float up and down in the pickup on the E-string half of the pickup. All the pole pieces move as a unit, so I assume these pieces are all one section (I thinkthis is called a bobbin?). The pickup works, but I would like to secure the pole pieces in the up position. What glue/adhesive do you recommend for this role?

Also, the J pickup was screwed all the way down into the body as far as it would go. I backed the screws out, but the pickup does not want to come out of the hole. I assume the springs under the pickup are compressed to the point of being useless. What is a good material to use to bring the pickup up higher? Right now, the front pickup, being closer to the strings, dominates the sound.

Thanks for any help!
  2. As for the neck pickup, I would take it to a luthier, or replace it.

As for the bridge pickup, I would get a piece ot foam about 1/4 of an inch thick, cut it to fit beneath the pickup, and there you have it!!
  3. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    It seems to me that the the pickup cover is not screwed down enough. I mean, just try lowering it a bit and see if it still moves.