Bobby McFerrin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by woot, Mar 23, 2003.

1. woot

Nov 16, 2002
    This man is a genius. I just got home from his concert tonight, and I've got to say that he's the most amazing performer I've ever seen, in any area of expertise.

The program says that he has a four octave vocal range, and he sure knows how to use it. It seemed like he would jump a few octaves in between sucessive notes sometimes, and that was truly insane. About half of the songs he did were originals, with what seemed like A LOT of room for improvisation. He even did a joint performance with a taiko drum player, and "Spain" with a three piece band. Although I didn't really know most of the songs that he covered (various show themes, mickey mouse, ave maria to bach's prelude in c), it was a great experience, as he knows how to get a crowd into his performances, like no one else I've ever seen.

Ah, I can't even put the performance into words...I guess if people reply to this I'll remember a few more things and tell you all exactly why it was so great. :D
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    don't worry, be happy:D

I didn't realize how talented Bobby McFerrin was until someone told me there are no instruments on that song, only Bobby McFerrin's voice. He came by here last year but unfortunately couldn't make it. Even the music professors were amazed by his performance.
  3. woot

Nov 16, 2002
    Heh, despite that song's popularity I don't think he's actually ever performed that song live. I don't think he was really happy when that became his most famous song.

If you get a chance you should download his version of Spain with only him and Chick Corea. Also I hear the stuff he did with Yo Yo Ma is great too. And of course check out his solo stuff.

Tickets were $57, but wellllll worth it! That man can do anything, ranging from hip hop-ish songs with him singing the drums, bass line, and lyrics at the same time, to getting the crowd to sing ave maria while he sang the accompaniment.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The cd he did with Jimmy Haslip is very nice.

There's a lot more to McFerrin than most people know.
  5. Has he ever done a duet with, say, Naná Vasconcelos?
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've not got any of his albums, but I've heard some of his recordings - and he really is great. Amazing voice, amazingly versatile.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I loved him up until he made that corny azz song. :rolleyes: His latest CD with Chick Corea is great, but you should check out "Spontaneous Inventions". Killer CD! On it he does a version of "Nights in Tunisia" with Dizzy Gillespie the Manhattan Transfer.