1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bobby Vega's making me buy a 4 string Fender Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassflute, May 20, 2011.

1. Yes, a 'Gumby' Fender jazz!

16.9%
  2. Yes a 'Shark' Fender jazz!

27.7%
  3. Both, with EMG JV vintage-style pickups

19.3%
  4. A Bobby Vega precision....

13.3%
  5. All three!

18.1%
  6. Fender should sell out to Gibson and let them DESTROY EVERYTHING IN THEIR PATH!

15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I was lucky enough to spend a weekend with the man as a guest clinician at www.canrockbassbash.com

He was SUCH and inspiration to me, and to at least one other professional bassist there, Mr. Al Bader, that we're BOTH buying 4 string Fender Jazz basses. I'm an MTD freak, as you probably deduced, and Al has a gorgeous Fodera and a beautiful 5 string F Bass, and he's NEVER owned a Fender in his LIFE! I've owned a bunch, but I sold my last Fender in about 1981, and have had a love/hate relationship with that company my whole life (mostly hate, actually, but justifiably so).

After hearing ALL the sounds Bobby Vega can coax out of his Jazz bass, or even a pre, I just had to get one. I'm in the process of buying a 6 string Steve Bailey, but that might not get here till December they're saying, and in the meantime I spotted a really good deal on a 4 string Olympic White American Standard Fender Jazz with a maple neck and a tortoise shell pickguard. Plays like a dream, and will help me fulfill my Bobby Vega aspirations. The guy is SO funky with that pick it'll drive you mad! Gotta do it!

So WHY doesn't Fender have a Bobby Vega model? The guy FILLED IN FOR ROCCO IN TOWER OF POWER, FOR ****'S SAKE! That ALONE makes him a living legend, and obviously, the man has ***** of steel! And in ONE weekend, he inspired two old farts like me and Al to forgive the lifelong angst and anguish we've had with the Fender corporation and their formerly lousy basses (from 1970-2008 or so, MOST of my life), to actually go out and buy one of their 4 string Jazz's-sess...

Bobby Vega is a monster, he's also funny as ****, and if you haven't heard him, check a little bit of this out

YouTube - ‪The Shark Bass - Bass of the Month August 2009‬‏

and let's petition Fender to come to their senses and bring out a Bobby Vega model jazz....I'd buy one in a heartbeat, especially if it's got those great EMG vintage style active pickups that Bobby uses in his 'Gumby' bass...

Here he is at the recent Canadian Rockies Bass Bash in Calgary...with his 'Gumby' bass

BobbyVega1140439.

And his signature Ribbeke acoustic:

BobbyVegaonhissignaturebass1140500.

Now where can I buy some Bobby Vega signature picks?

Anxiously awaiting the Bobby Vega solo album,
    Cameron

2. Are you familiar with his 1997 "Down The Road" album? With Airto and the Turtle Island String Quartet, even has a tune entitled "Rocco". From Bean Bag Entertainment (Bean 55564).

3. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Bobby Vega is amazing, I love that guy. Sounds like a fun weekend, I'll look forward to seeing you on your new Fender on youtube!

Dario Deidda is who inspired me to stay on a Jazz Bass.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    +1
    these guys are reminder that so much music can still be made today on a simple 4 string jazz bass:bassist:

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Does anyone here know of good videos of vega on a P?

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Well, he endorses EMG pickups. He'd probably get a sig if he played stock Fenders. Maybe lack of a steady high profile gig where he could showcase. Dunno!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DW, Fender ha done signature models wit outsourced pickups before. I think a Bobby Vega model would be nice although I probably would not buy one unless I found it used and cheap.;)

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I love Bobby Vega, but I think we have too many Fender signature models already! I also think Fender made plenty of nice instruments between 1970 and 2008. I don't think you would have any issues with my 1984 Fullerton reissue Jazz or my 2005 US reissue Jazz bass!

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    A shark bass would be cool but it'd be a lot of money for a bass. Unless it was a 62RI with Barts (or does his have EMGs) and a cheesy shark decal on the back.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ya want a bobby vega sig? get a sunburst 62ri. its good to go out of the box with a stack knob setup without the resistors. im pretty sure he didnt sway the pickups out of the 61.

13. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I didn't think I'd see the day that you would buy a Fender, and a four string at that! Hell must have frozen over! My P-Bass has been getting a lot of love lately and I think my F-Bass sixer might be getting a bit jealous.

I gotta come over to the mainland sometime soon and get a lesson or two. Sound good?

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    There's a video on youtube where he talks about the Shark Bass. Its got different pickups, I just can't remember which. I'm pretty sure they're EMGs now that I'm thinking about it. Its also got the BadAss I bridge too I think.

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the bass of the month video? theres no mention of emg's. definitely got a badass 2 though. he mentions having emg's in the gumby bass.

16. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    1. You can pretty much make any Fender Jazz with a RW board and EMG's a Bobby Vega Sig.

2. What is an EMG 'vintage style' pickup? I'm assuming you're referring to the shape, as I doubt Mr. Vega is using EMG Selects (the passive line of EMG pickups).

3. It won't make you Bobby Vega

Kidding! I would think a 62 RI with the pups and guts swapped for EMG's would pretty mutch be the closest to what he's playing...not sure on pickup spacing but the nitro finish and other specs would be dead on.

17. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    I think Bobby could make scrapwood sound good! His attack and sense of rhythm are amazing. Pick/finger/slap he can do it all and well! Plus he seems like a good guy

18. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    He is referring to the vintage jazz emg pickups with exposed pole pieces. They are not the selects.

19. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    funny reading this thread. 30 years ago, don weir sold me a tele/50's p style neck he had on consignment from mr vega (was a fan way back), and this week i was shopping around for either a p body, or going with a sea foam green jazz...yeah bobby is a great guy, and wonderful player. he could play a bowl of potato salad and make it sound sweet.