1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bobelock standard or Mooradian Standard bass bag

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by JasonBurnham, Jan 13, 2012.

1. JasonBurnham

JasonBurnham

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover, Ohio
    I have the option of a Bobelock 3/4 bag or a Mooradian standard 3/4. Which should I take?

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Jason,

Obviously, the best advice would be from someone who has had experience with both bags- so I'm "sorry" to say I can only offer you my impressions of the Mooradian. I would put a Mooradian bag in the same catagory as Spiros: One of the GREAT (if not greatest) VALUES available to a working bassist. They are not inexpensive, but they are worth every penny.

I got my Mooradian standard bag back in 1996, and it is still going strong, especially taking into account it's age and the amount of abuse it has endured.

The only complaint I could consider offering is that the zipper for the music pouch on the back failed- and that was relatively early on- I want to say it was about five years in or so. Despite the zipper not working, the pouch still holds music just fine, so I never bothered with seeking to have it repaired.

Every other aspect of the Mooradian is absolutely perfect (imho).
    1- Padding thick enough to offer protection, but no so thick as to be cumbersome.
    2- It opens enough to be put on the bass with great ease.
    3- Plenty of pockets- good sized ones too that easily hold all of my accessories, from books, to speaker and power cables to what ever.
    4- Bow pocket- The pocket is large enough to hold my double bow case perfectly!!! :hyper: I think it came with some kind of sleeve for use by those without a case for their bow- but I never used it and promptly lost it! ;)
    5- TOUGH!!! Yeah, my bag shows some road wear, but more importantly- my bass DOES NOT! :)
    6- Cats LOVE 'EM! When not on the bass it doubles as an oft fought over cat bed! Makes a nice fort too, say for one cat to lay in wait to ambush another...I've seen it done! ;)
    7- Cat hair is easy to remove- just thought I should throw that in there...
    8- Handles!!! Lots of sturdy, reinforced handles EXACTLY where I need them!!!

So, all told I could not be happier with the service I continue to receive from my vernerable, trusty bag! I believe it will continue to serve me well into the future too- I can easily forsee getting at least another decade of use!

I now find my patience tested by inferior bags! Be it on rental or borrowed instruments- I usually find most other bags to be either difficult to put to on or taken off the bass- handles arent where I would expect or need them to be, etc...
    Again- I've never used a Bobelock.

Hope this helps!

Joe

3. petesenkowski

petesenkowski Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi Jason,

I have two similar (but slightly different) basses:

1. Shen SB-200 Rogeri Willow. It's fully carved, has a wide, round upper bout, and fits easily into a Mooradian 3/4 bag.

2. Shen SB-180. It's a hybrid, has a slightly narrower, more sloping upper bout than the Rogeri, and fits snugly into a Bobelock 3/4 bag.

Joe did a great job describing the Mooradian in his post. I'll try to compare the two bags.

- Weights are the same.
    - Padding seems to be the same.
    - The Bobelock's fabric is slightly stiffer than the Mooradian's, and seems to be more rugged.
    - The pockets' size and placement are similar: excellent for both.
    - The side handles are placed slightly differently: the Bobelock's are near the bottom of the C-bout, the Mooradian's near the top of the C-bout. For a short guy like me (5'5"), the Bobelock's handles are just out of reach when standing directly beside the bass, so I can't carry it one-handed on my hip as I can with the Mooradian; for a taller person with longer arms, this won't be a problem.
    - The zippers are the same length on both. The long zipper is on the E-side on the Bobelock and on the G-side on the Mooradian.
    - The Mooradian's inside dimensions are slightly larger. My Rogeri will not fit in the Bobelock. Its upper bout is 1 inch wider (20 3/4") and slightly less sloped than my hybrid's. If you have a large 3/4 bass or one with wide shoulders, it may not fit into the Bobelock; my hybrid fits in snugly.

I've had both basses and bags about four years. I haul the hybrid around more than the Rogeri, so the Bobelock has seen more use. Both bags are still in great shape with little wear.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Pete

4. JasonBurnham

JasonBurnham

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover, Ohio
    I went with the bobelock because it had more and larger pockets

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    They are both extremely well-made cases. My personal preference is Mooradian, based on the placement of the side handles. The Bobelock has the crucial one about 6 inches too low for the way I carry bass up stairs.

6. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I have to agree. They are both well made, but the handles on the Bobelock are too low.

7. JasonBurnham

JasonBurnham

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover, Ohio
    Other with the low handle on the left side, I thoroughly enjoy my bobelock. I would recommend it .

8. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

Jan 21, 2007
    Buy the Mooradian. They're made in the USA.

9. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

+1!!!

The OP has already chosen, but that is a very important thing to me when ever I am ready to purchase anything!

Joe