Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bocote Fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Kahuna, May 16, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    A local lumber company has quite a few really nice, dark pieces of Bocote that are the perfect size for bass fingerboards, and I'm really considering snagging a few of them for some current and future custom basses I'm building.

Anybody ever used bocote for a fingerboard?

:^)~

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have twice. Make sure they are well quartered and they will work well.

3. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've used it once and liked it. I can't comment on how the bocote ages with the finish I put on it (fingerboard finishing oil from StewMac - I don't know what it is really) since I haven't seen the bass since I built it but freshly cut bocote is not dark at all. It will probably darken back up, though, with anything but a lacquer or poly on it.

[​IMG]

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It will darken in the sun and some pieces are definately heavier on the dark streaks.

There's also a related species called "picana negra" that is a darker tan color. The picana negra is generally about half the price of bocote unless the joint you are at is passing it off as bocote.

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Thanks all, great information.

I was just browsing around in their showroom where they have all of their wood stock when I came across it. It just seemed very nice, hard, and what seemed like just the right oil content for a fingerboard, and I am looking for some really nice, slightly "different" pieces especially for a bass that I'm starting up for myself this summer (I figure it's about time I built one for myself!), and one or two other customs. The price seemed about right, too.

Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated. I'll probably go for it and if it doesn't turn out I'll just take it off and replace it with rosewood or ebony.

:^)~