Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bocote/Ziricote FB's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rusty, Apr 28, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hi guys! I'm finalizing the specs for a bass I'm ordering and I was wondering what you guys think about using Bocote or Ziricote for a fretboard - is it a good idea? Are there any issues with it that might make it unsuitable as a fb? Or would I be better of with sticking to Pau ferro?

Can someone explain to me what it means when someone says that a maccassar ebony/cocoblo fb "runs"?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    bocote or ziricote will work fine. I have used both.

not sure what it means for macassar to "run". can you be more specific as to what you've been told?

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I wish I could, but that was about as much as I was told when I asked about using cocobolo/maccassar ebony for the fb wood... perhaps it's got to do with the wood being resistant to glue?

- Does bocote/ziricote have to be stabilized before being used?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Well, cocobolo has pigments in it that might run during finishing. I have had this problem with lacquer. Macassar, I have not seen this problem with.

I have used unstabilized ziricote and bocote both. They are both cordia, they are both quite dense and hard. Ziricote seems to be the more durable of the two.