Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bodies and Veneer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bcarll, Apr 6, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    After all this talk about bodies and the woods that either look great or sound great - is there anything wrong with like using a good sounding wood for your bass and veneering the top with an exotic wood? When I say veneer I mean like 1/32 material. I would think you could then use some beautiful inlays and achieve the beauty we all want and not hurt the tone. Would that thin of a veneer hurt the quality of the sound? Glue also might enter into the equation also huh?

bcarll

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Lakland is doing that with their imports- i would guess the effect on tone would be minimal-

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Veneer is so thin that it's easy to sand through. Even a little dent or scratch could go through the veneer.

I think that few builders think twice about hurting tone with a 1/4" laminate of almost any wood.

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I wouldn't worry too much about coloring the tone if you use a veneer in the 1/16"-1/8" range.