Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bodies & Necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuBass, Feb 9, 2004.

1. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    This year I'm going to start building my own custom bass from the ground up, I don't care if it takes years and costs me more than an assembled bass!
    I'm aware of warmoth and stewart-macdonald, but I'm pretty ignorant to other parts builders. Can anyone give me some names to look into especially (but not neccesarily) any Australian ones's?
    Also are there any posts here that anyones aware of that deal with wood types and tone for necks and bodies.
    Cheers all!!!

2. You are aware of the "Luthiers" forum here at TB, aren't you? Read through all of those posts and you'll be on your way to getting a handle on this stuff.

3. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks for the pointer Hambone, I'm pretty new here so I'm still finding my way around!
    Just as an afterthought to my post, I was considering using local mango tree wood for the body, as I'm assuming it would be a soft porous wood (I may be off course here) maybe like swamp ash?

4. As far as necks go, I'd be willing to say the Warmoths are the best route to take.

5. If your going to make a bass by buying the neck and body i would suggest looking around for luthiers in your area especially seeing your in australia (with the costs of importing the products and such)