Body and neck fitting.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mazinger, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    OK. I got hold of a nice MIM P-body and was going to install a fender replacement mighty mite neck on it. The neck BTW fit perfectly in the pocket of an Essex bass.

Problem - The curves on the MIM body doesn't fit the heel of the neck. The neck's heel doesn't touch the edge of the pocket. About an 1/16" (.40mm) gap. The curves just don't match.

What should I do?

Route the body to match the neck?

Leave the gap. Would this affect the overall tone/sound?

Just forget it and find another body?
  2. How's the side to side fit?

A small gap isn't too much of a problem because real coupling is achieved through the bolting surface. The side fit is important so that the neck doesn't shift easily.

BTW, it would be easier to simply file the heal of the neck to fit the body rather than the other way around.

I've eliminated this problem in my own builds by using a flat ended neck pocket. It becomes more of a dovetail at that point. I don't even have to bolt my necks in and they stay in tight.

Don't forget to put in inserts and use machine bolts for attaching the neck. You can get mucho clamping force and that'll make for a tight joint more than closing the gap.
  3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    The side fit is tight. I have to shove the neck in the pocket.

When bolting the neck on, what exactly is an insert?

Thanks for the help!
  4. Instead of using the standard wood screws for holding the neck, the idea is to use a threaded steel insert and machine bolts. The insert is a piece of metal with large knife edge threads - it's a screw in and of itself - through this is a set of machine threads. You drill a larger hole and sink the insert into the neck, flush with the surface in the same place the screws were. Now you have a set of threaded holes that are tough, and won't deteriorate like the wood does with repeated neck removals. The inserts also allow tremendous pressure to be applied between the two pieces. Machine threads are very fine (I use 10-24 pitch) and they will really hold tight.