1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Body and Neck mismatch? - Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flacco, May 17, 2018.

1. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    So I got this guy off of GC used site and it is in perfect condition. The S/N on the headstock checks out that its a classic series 60's fender jazz but I haven't found any factory runs that have this color or the stacked pots. I checked the neck pocket and it has a couple numbers printed in there (picture attached). Also the date stamped in there is from June 2012, not 2017 like the neck S/N.

Any one up to speed on what these things mean? For instance, do the body and neck always have to come from the same year or be made at the same time? Or is this obviously a mismatched body and neck based on the years, S/N's etc.

Thanks.
    -Flacco

Attached Files:

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Probably a parts bass. Very unlikely it was sold with the 5 year discrepancy.

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    It's not a Classic 60s body either, with that factory notch at the truss rod.

pudgychef and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Are the Mexican bodies stamped with a date like that one is in the neck cavity?

I really like that to be honest, Love the color and the stack knobs.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I'd love to see a pic with the guard off.

6. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks man, I love it too. I just couldn’t figure out it’s history. But if it’s a aftermarket job it professionally done. No one i take it to can tell me much.

7. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    I’ll get one later today. But there is literally nothing: no CNC hole, pickups are a flush fit, all that.

8. TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Well that's what I was curious about, the CNC hole. I may be wrong but I thought all the Mexi bodies have a CNC hole.

I am just curious if it is a US Body with a Mexi neck. What does everyone else think?

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    A US body would have string through body holes. All MIM bodies I've seen have a sticker either under the clear coat, or on top of it in the pickup cavity with a bar code and number.

10. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    I haven’t looked in the pickup cavity yet. I’ll do that tonight

11. Would a Vintage or Reissue body have string through holes though? Just spit balling here.

12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    No, but it wouldn't have that route for the truss rod adjustment. I think it's an aftermarket body. If not, I guess it could be a Highway One which had some of the US features, but also the features of the MIM basses. If it doesn't have a CNC hole somewhere under the pick guard, I doubt the body is Fender.

Aqualung60 and Gluvhand like this.
  13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Yeah, the 2012 or 2013 Fender catalogs do not show a jazz bass this color...I searched for special run colors and came up blank.

What you have is probably a very limited special run of this color or a refin or a third party body.

It doesn't really seem like Fender's usual date stamp config... but I don't claim to have universal knowledge regarding Fender's usual markings in the neck pocket.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Very nice looking bass though... I love the color, non of this uncertainty about the origin of the body would bother me at all!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  15. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yea it plays very well, tone is classic and the finish is perfect. I will admit the stacked pots are awesome but I actually prefer the VVT controls: I seem to be able to get a wider variety of tones. Maybe that's why they switched? The potential non-fender doesn't bother me. I also don't like the chunkier neck on this one vice the modern C shapes of the newer American standards. I'm thinking of selling it to a good home, she needs to get out more than I currently do.

16. The neck has a lacquer finish. that's what the LQ means. since it's a 2017, that's probably a pau ferro fretboard. looks like pau ferro. the body was originally black or sunburst. you can see the original paint in the neck pocket.

FenderTuni and Flacco like this.
  17. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's what I'm looking for! Thanks man! I was sure I could get something from the numbers in the neck pocket and the date stamp.

18. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I’m sitting here thinking, am I the only one who doesn’t care what kind of body it is, that color is awesome!!! Seriously, I have an Olympic White classic 60’s body I would gladly trade you for this

TinIndian and Double E like this.
  19. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    I truly don't care, but I was thinking of selling it and don't want to intentionally mislead. Plus, its cool to try and figure out the fine details of each manufacturer's process. I'm with you though, its a dope color scheme.

20. highway ones with the badass bridges had the truss rod notch and no cnc hole
    3474487992_0714d31b4f.
    v16yz5pp43tomo0nzisl.