1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Body and pickguard for a late '60s Jazz Bazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by P-punk, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Not 100% sure that this is the right forum, but I suppose the mods will move the thread if it should be in another forum. :)

Anyway, I've got a parts bass with a really, really nice Jazz neck from '68. The body however is a late '70s (almost) boat anchor P-body. Therefore I'm thinking of splitting up the bass, and having built a Jazz body in a late '60s style.

I've already got a set of pots from '66 and I'll get some pickups from either SD or Fralin (haven't decided yet). Control plate, bridge, thumb rest and pickguard screws, I'll probably just buy some standard Fender AV RI parts.

What I'm missing is thus:

- Jazz body, alder, finished in nitro, light relic
    - Pickguard, creme colored

I'm looking for tips on what body and pickguard I should get? Where should I buy? Who makes the best?

All help appreciated. :)

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The best? That is gonna be expensive!
    The Fender Custom shop maybe, but there are other options such as buying an allparts or warmoth body and have someone local to you do the paint job in nitro.
    Or take a look here ;) http://brotherdave.com/add_majorrefin.htm

3. Thank you for the link. Found the right one there, so now I just have to wait for it to finish. :)

4. I'd check out MJT relics for the body. They have the nicest relic work I've ever seen.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If you want a Jazz body built to late 60's spec, built and finished exactly like the real thing. Johnk_10 is your guy.