Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body Binding

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thisSNsucks, Feb 5, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I want to put some of that body binding on a p-bass i have (steve harris style) and i was just wondering where i can buy some. do you order it to a specific length that will fit around ur body or is it pre cut? and my last question is do u just glue it down or is there a more technical process involved, thanks guys.

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    One problem you might run into right off the bat is most binding is between .1-.125" wide, usually just under an 1/8 inch. Odds are the roundover on the bass you have is already greater than an 1/8 inch. If not you can get binding at Stewmac or LMI. Stewmac sells true celluloid binding with can be pretty flamable if you are sanding it. I think LMI sells PVC or something less dangerous than the celluloid. It's sold in a generic length that will work with almost all standard guitar/bass shapes. Stewmac sells binding tape, router bits, glue, etc.