1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Body Blank Building - Anyone Interested?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scott in Dallas, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I built a guitar body blank out of alder on Wednesday and this time I took pictures of the process. I was planning to do a little writeup from start to finish on starting with a piece of raw lumber and ending up with a blank. I've got all the pictures ready to go, but I wanted to make sure a) it's appropriate and b) anyone would be interested in seeing it. I did a search and didn't see anything like this, but if this has been done to death then I won't bother.

I'm not a professional carpenter, which is why I think it might be useful to someone that hasn't just taken the plunge yet. If I can do it, anybody that wants to can and should.

th_19.gif

Opinions welcome.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    fire away!

all the best,

R

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Hey Scott,

Bring that blank up to Denton and we'll put it on the CNC router. Write a program and push the button. Will save you lots of time writing the article not to mention how much quicker the process will be!

:bag:

Just kidding!!

By the time we get a real nice program made that will cut the shape out, round the corners over, cut the contours, pickup routs and neck pocket and drill all the holes, then fixture the blank and set the machine up to do it all...
    You might spend less time doing it by hand anyway.

But the second one will sure be quick!

I don't remember seeing any how-to's about building a body blank from rough lumber, but there sure are a lot of people with limited equipment and experience, so if you have some thoughts to share this seems like the right place. :bassist:

4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Cool. Thanks for the encouragement. It's now up in its own thread.

BTW, Wade, if that's anything approaching a serious invitation, even if it's to come up and watch the thing work, count me in. I live about three minutes from Denton. I'd love to see a CNC router in action.