Body colored headstocks....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Master P, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Hate 'em

15 vote(s)
  2. Love 'em

64 vote(s)
  3. Don't care

32 vote(s)
  1. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    I have a hot sports opinion regarding body colored headstocks. I'm curious what my TB brethren( and sisteren?:confused:) think about this subject.

I have a problem with colored headstocks that are polar opposites of the fretboard. For example: a maple fretboard with a dark headstock or a ebony board with a light headstock. I feel that one of the things that is cool about the bass guitar is that the neck is long. A body colored headstock makes it look shorter.
    Having said all that, a dark headstock with an ebony or rosewood board is very cool. I have a Carvin 5 with an ebony board and rosewood body and headstock. Only the front of the headstock is stained. The back matches the maple neck so the line from body to the end of the headstock doesn't break.
    Am i on track here or being anal?

Stay Hard,
    Master P
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    black headstock- no matter what, but especially with a dark board and gold hardware.

i at one point had 3 black headstocked basses. now i'm down to 2, but i'm still at 100%, and i'm soon to get another black headstocked bass.

once you go black....
  3. I think they look good if you have a rosewood board, (or other dark wood), but not with maple.
  4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    I must admit that I don't care much about the color of the headstock. My fretless bass has walnut body wings to a three-piece maple neck. The board is ebony, and the head has a walnut veneer. It's lovely. My MTD Grendel has a wenge board on a maple neck, with a red flame maple body. The head has a wenge veneer, matching the board. It's beautiful as well! I've seen basses with rosewood fingerboards and maple heads, and I thought they were pretty as well. I don't have any strong opinions on this at all. I guess that's an opinion, too? :D
  5. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Mr. Walker,
    What you have described from your arsenal lines up with what I was talking about. Dark board,medium-to-dark peghead= good. dark board,light peghead= bad.
  6. My Dingwall has what appears to be rosewood veneer on the headstock, the fretboard is wenge. It looks quite nice. That said, the Dingwall I have coming is gonna have a maple headstock overlay with a dark fretboard, Pau Ferro I believe I am getting. Also, I have seen basses with nice quilted maple bodies, with stain, and matching headstocks. They looked really nice (plus one was a Kinal and the other a Dingwall, so perhaps this has something to do with it;) ).

7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    this is my bass.. you must think it's hideous....
    I think that a colored headstock closes off the bass... like if it's the same color as the body, it looks like it's a part of the body... if the body is blue and the headstock is white, it seems like the headstock doesn't even belong there... Similiar to wearing shoes to match your shirt... i'd rather have shoes the same color as my shirt than shoes the same color as my pants.... yea i'm dumb, but that's how it is..

8. My 80's P Bass Special has it and it's lurvely - I love 'em!:D
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Matching headstocks rule!
  10. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    For the first, I agree that we agree. On the second (dark board and light peghead), I said that I think those are fine, too. (Rosewood fingerboard with maple head looks nice, I think).

More importantly to me is the sound and playability. If it's a good bass, I don't care much about the headstock finish... ;)
  11. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    To tell the truth, I know this is probably a quirk of mine. Just trying to start a dialogue.......
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Let it be known looks are the last thing that matter...but, this IS discussion of aesthetics, so I'll refrain.

For me, it's gotta be in the same country as the fretboard. I don't like Dark headstock/maple fretboard. That's about it. I can deal with a dark fretboard and a light heastock, or matched, or dark, it's all good. Only the Light/Dark messes with me, not the Dark/Dark or Dark/Light.
  13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rosewood? Are you sure?! My god, that would be heavy as hell!!!

I prefer colored headstocks to plain, especially on wood necked basses. Doesn't really bother me if it doesn't have it, though.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like the whole bass/guitar to match if it's painted. except a black bass with a maple neck/board/headstock (birdseye prefered)
  15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

16. FalsehoodBass, I love the colour configuration of your MM. The contrasting headstock is gorgeous - I love the look of the maple and contrasting blue. That said, I think a maple board with a black body and headstock is a bit much... but on an MM, I love the sound of a maple board... so it's gotta be blue :) I like the contrast. I'm also a light shirt/dark pants/light shoes kinda guy :D

17. If I had a choice, I would get everything with a matching headstock!
    It doesn't bother me that my Ray 5 is a bright orange, and then dark pau ferro, and then bright orange again. But then again I've been told I have really bad taste in clothes also.
  18. I'm paying extra (buying new instead of used) just so I could get a Stingray which would have a matching headstock, so yeah, I guess I like them.
  19. I didn't really like matching headstocks until I hooked into a Stingray 5 for $800. It's pearl blue with rosewood, matching headstock. The matching headstock's grown on me in the 6 weeks I've had the bass. The bass has too......:p
  20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It doesn't matter at all in my purchasing descisions, but if I can have the same bass with or without, I would prefer with. I think it's prettier.