1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

body end truss rod protector?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spc, Feb 18, 2014.

  1. spc


    Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone know what the little plastic scoop is called that covers the truss rod access at the body?


  2. Opening. Access hole. Cutout. Thing.

  3. Slowgypsy

    Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

    Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Plastic truss rod scoop

  4. megafiddle


    May 25, 2011
    Truss rod cover

    Had to buy one for my les paul once.

  5. spc


    Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

    Not that end of the truss rod, the part that protects the body end-looks like a little plastic scoop...
  6. Slowgypsy

    Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

    Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    For more serious replies, more info would be the way to go. Pictures always work the best (hint, hint). Make/model of what we're talking about would help as well.
  7. Megafiddle is correct. Even at the body, it is called a truss rod cover.
  8. On a Fender style, it is a plastic tube, cut at an angle to blend with the headstock. It is strictly to finish off the ugly hole.
  9. Mustang Surly

    Mustang Surly

    Jul 10, 2013
    It's the ULHD (Ugly Little Hole Disguise) more commonly known as "Oriface Camo".
  10. spc


    Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

  11. Nice bass!

    It's a "hole" or "access hole" or "access cutout". The plastic insert is an "insert", or maybe a "sleeve" or "liner" if the maker was creative.
  12. maurilio

    maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

    May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    He's talking about this

  13. Turnaround

    Turnaround Commercial User

    May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Some basses have what maurilio shows, some don't. Laklands don't. And I don't know of a stock part that would fit the Lakland. I guess you would call it a truss rod access hole protector. There are some makers that cover the hole with a plate. Like Alembic:


    So if the access hole bothers you, just buy and Alembic. You'll get a great bass with that cover plate!