Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassplayingfool, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Hey, just gettin things started for building my first bass and have a question. Is there any place I can get patterns for the body or should i not use one. Should I trace a bass I have and go with that, I dont really care for the shape of this one because it is gonna pretty much be practice.

2. :smug: check out www.mimf.com for bass plans... but honestly, it's a lot more fun to get your creative juices flowing and design your own pattern. The key is to plan, plan, and plan some more. Then, when you're done planning, plan some more. Then start. :) Good luck!
    Peace

3. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003

I tried that once. This was the result.
    [​IMG]
    For those of us with slighty abnormal brains, there is definately a good use for body plans!
    I'd definaltey try to make a few modifications or so, though, just for fun (and if you're tracing a Rickenbacker and you may at some point want to sell the bass, for legal reasons!)

If you go to Warmoth.com, they have nice black& white outlines that could be enlarged and resampled or whatever the right term is to make the lines smooth, which you could use as a template.