1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Body Maintenance for Musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I’m curious to hear about what some players here use as exercise and/or personal health routines (yoga, stretching etc.) to take care of themselves so that they’re in optimal shape for playing and living.

I’ve been up and down with various routines over the years and lately have been exploring Foundation training (Eric Goodman) and resistance stretching (Bob Cooley).

I’ve read a good bit about musicians health and have tried to educate myself as much as I can about anatomy. I’ve read Randy Kertz’s book and also about trigger point therapy.

So, how do you keep the mechanics of you healthy so that you can let the music flow freely?

2. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    You've obviously not met a lot of us.:D

3. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm fat and my hands have been crippled by decades of hard work. I need new glasses, too.:woot: Something flows through me, but it's not music.:woot:

4. I try to roll my fat arse off the couch at least once an hour.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    power yoga, 3-5 times per week

pwhalen, two fingers, Jazzish and 3 others like this.
  6. Core/flexibility workout 2-3x per week. A hell of a lot of time on the bike.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Warm water wading, and glamping (I cancel a camp out if the gelato maker is acting up).

8. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Do you do classes or a routine you’ve built on your own from books / web / personal training?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have 2 hobbies -
    Music
    Working out

...a guitarist friend, though, tells me as he gets older & rounder...it pushes the guitar further out from his body. He notices a shift in the angles of his playing hands. Not good & he is working on it.

red_rhino and EdO. like this.
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I ride a bike 40-50 miles a week when it’s above 40F. Just started PT for knee pain, stretching and such. Good stuff.

Used to do yoga back in LA, good stuff, but it’s aout finding class that is at my speed. Not so easy in these days of power yoga.

Artman and ErikP.Bass like this.
  11. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Eliptical trainer machine at home, I try to workout every day, but it comes down to about 4 times a week, and that's enough for me.
    Some may think this is grandmom workout, but it aims at important muscle groups, and can be a challenge if you push it harder.

Turbo Sparky, db59 and ErikP.Bass like this.
  12. Power yoga, 4-5x/week. Keeps me sane and fit.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Pain killers daily.

14. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    I must admit, I had to look up power yoga...had never heard of it. Definitely interested to research it out a bit more.

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming...even the tongue in cheek stuff. A good laugh is always good for your health!

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The older you get, the more maintenance you need, yeah? Elliptical machine (arms and legs) at the YMCA three times a week, 45 minutes each session. I eat right. I have not been in a McDonalds or other fast food outlet in more than 20 years. I haven't taken a yoga class in a while, but I remember Mountain Pose (Tadasana) and use it on stage a lot.

RiffwRiter, Jibber, Manxman and 3 others like this.
  16. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    A mix of workout videos between T25, Insanity, and the MMA videos from P90X.

If my hotels have good enough treadmills I’ll also do a 3-4 mile run, but it’s atypical the treadmill motors can handle the pace I’m doing with my weight on it...I’ve gone flying over the front of a treadmill more than once.

Usually a video about 6am and then another later in the evening before dinner when I’m on the road.

red_rhino and ErikP.Bass like this.
  17. It is mainly running and core workouts for me. It helps to keep the weight down and I think the cardio helps keeping your wind up for singing.

18. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I just try to do cardio in the mornings 4-5 times a week...mix of running and HIIT, but we're thinking about getting a Peloton to throw in the mix.

I also pick things up and put them down about 5 times a week either at the fitness center or my home garage gym.

Not sure if any of that helps with my playing, but it works for me and is a good stress reliever.

keto, DrThumpenstein and ErikP.Bass like this.
  19. 67 y.o. here, I go walking (hiking) twice a week.

Tuesday night is 6 to 8 miles with an older guy so we go easy on the hills and have occasional stops, max 200M (650 feet) ascent.

Friday afternoon is 14 to 16 miles with at least 700M (2300 feet) ascent, it is an all out route march. The only stops we have are "P stops" and we average 3 to 3.25 mph.

Roj Ash, Manxman, wesonbass and 7 others like this.
  20. Started doing Chi Kung about 9 months ago to overcome rsi issues and flexibility and core strength along with visit to gym to do light weights 2-3 times a week, I was in a position of not being able to play for a couple of years and have recently started playing again