Body/neck center line..??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dremy2006, Feb 19, 2010.

1. dremy2006

dremy2006 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    My neck center line is not lining up with my body center line..:rollno:…I wonna say that I measure everything B4..I cut the neck pocket..what happen..???.what can I do to fix it..:help: and what can be done NOW.. ..so that this will not happen in the future..??? thanks
    spalted001.jpg

spalted002.jpg

I hope this is clear…:(
    spalted003.jpg

spalted004.jpg

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Seeing as how it appears to need to be shifted to the left (3rd picture), you may end up with a minimal gap on your right side of the pocket. Regardless of this, make a block that will fit in the neck pocket, same height as the top and re vise the neck to the body and it would be a good idea if you had two long straight edges (at least 3' long) to hold to each side of the neck, following the neck taper and going across the body as well, re-mark it and route as necessary.

In the future, don't rely on a single center line, I use a set of straight edge rulers (both 4') that follow the neck taper, all the way across the body and always make fixes that look like you intended them to be that way ;)

All in all, I think you'll do fine with this fix, it's all up to you now ;)

3. dremy2006

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    .....ok I see what ur saying..Had to read it about 3 times... but I got it... thanks

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yeah, I can be confusing like that...... I'm actually very clear in my own mind ;)
    My wife says the same thing :ninja:

5. Ok... are you going to cover that spalt up with a pickgaurd?

6. dremy2006

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    ...lol... no Sir.. not at all....spanish cedar core..lightttttttttttttt....canarywood neck...

7. Im glad to hear that! It never ceases to amaze me how people cover up nice looking wood with paint and plastic! :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021