1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Body/Neck Mismatch Peeve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MIMJAZZ, Nov 3, 2013.

1. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    This has bothered me for way too long, so I though I'd bring it to a higher power (you guys) to see if you felt the same way.

I don't like it when theres a natural finished body and a neck that doesn't exactly match. Like a natural Ash body with a maple neck.

The most recent bass I've seen is the Squier VM jazz. It's a great bass and I'd love to have one, but its the mismatched natural finish that I can't stand.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm used to it. Fender has done it for as long as they've offered natural finishes. It looks better when they match, but it's common enough that most people don't think twice about it.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yep. This.^

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it doesn't bother me at all. i wouldn't want a maple body (it would weigh a TON!) , or an ash, or alder neck so I like 'em just the way that they are.

5. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not talking about having a maple body or anything like that. Just the fact that they don't match in grain type or color sometimes.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, different types of wood have different grain and a different color so they won't match..

7. Yeah like when the body is natural finish and the neck is natural finish and the fingerboard is natural finish then the pickups are plastic :atoz:
    :mad:GET OFF MY LAWN:mad:

8. Do you mean when the neck is a very light maple and the body is a darker ash?

Yes, its a little annoying! I guess it reflects the current stocks of 'normal' maple, eg no figuring, very light in colour.

9. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Unfortunately, it's the nature of the mass-manufacturing beast. Processes and the demands of cost control prevent the matching of compatible-colored (and figured) wood supplies for necks and bodies. Add to that, the fact that ash and maple have fundamentally different colors, and this is gonna happen a lot. To bad for instances where you can't at least eyeball a bass before buying to see if the mismatch bothers you.

My pet peeve is with "ash" itself. Depending on where it's grown, the same ash tree could produce "northern", "hard" ash or "swamp" ash. The former tends to be heavy, have narrower grain and produce very tight, piano-like tone, where the latter is most often lightweight, with wide, (to me) more aesthetic grain and a much lighter, punchy sound. Manufacturers are very loose about what woods they call "swamp ash", bordering on gross misrepresentation. My 2 cents...

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it's an outrage when the color hue and wood grain on my $350 Chinese bass aren't perfectly matched.

??

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    LOL!

12. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    LOL! If it doesn't make you happy, don't buy it.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I don't, and honestly wonder what you'd expect as an alternative? As others have pointed out, Maple, Alder, Swamp Ash, etc. all have different grain, color, feel, and look.

I suppose you could stain the woods to have similar colors, but that could leave the other differences even more obvious and jarring. A stain or tint on a Maple neck would be hard to match with any body on an industrial scale, IMHO.

Then again, solid color solves a lot of problems, doesn't it? :D

D_Felder_013.

14. Doesn't bother me a bit. If it did, I'd just get a rosewood board.