Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body or neck wood, which is best for tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by htdesigns, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Hello all,
    I am designing a thru neck bass at the moment and have been trying to decide which part of the bass is more important for using a good tonewood. I have heard that the tonal properties from an instrument are based round the central neck section of a thru body design, and that the wings aren't really as important. I was told this was because it is this section that the strings vibrations are centred round. Is this the case? or are the wings more important? Is it a bit of both? If anyone out there has any answers on this one i would be most apreciative.
    Regards,
    H.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The connectioin between the head and bridge string anchorages is the most imprtant part of any stringed instrument.

If you have a suitable rigid neck, you have the possibility to have good tone.

The mass/stiffnes distribution of the body wings shapes the resonance, damping some and enhancing some frequencies. Surface hardness and porosity also yields to the total result.

All parts of the instruments give their contribution to the tone - and so does the player!

So: make sure you have a good, stiff, lightweight and comfortable neck.
    Then add a comfortable body. It's OK if it also is pretty.
    Put good pickups in good places.
    Use great strings.
    Play well.
    ¤PERFECT¤

3. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    An instrument is passive in itself. It can't enhance anything. You either have it or you don't. A piece of ash might work well in the mids, by contrast the lows and highs might sound strong, but there not. It's just the substraction of some frequencies that can bring some other part of the spectrum to sound with a bit more presence.

PL