Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body parts (not that kind ...)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by buldog5151bass, May 3, 2004.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have a Fender Frankenstein bass - the body is from a '72 or '74 Jazz - looks like northern ash. Great sound, but 11.5lbs, and ugly as !@#^$^^%&^%$%@.

I am looking to get a new - lighter body for it, maybe keep the same bright sound while taking off a pound or so. I'm thinking swamp ash, maybe with a laminated tolp. I've been looking at the different companies - USA Custom Guitars, Warmoth, and Allparts. Anybody have words of wisdom about who to use, who to avoid, and the best way to get a nice looking piece of wood?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Wieght loss, the fun way..... cut off your upper and lower horn. :)

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mike,
    I think we've talked about that bass before, right?!?! :D I've worked with Tommy at USACG before and have been extremely happy. They're smaller-scale than some of the other "parts" guys and seem to be more into working with people in an individual basis. They have great stuff and would be able to hand-select a piece of wood that exactly meets your needs. If you want a piece of swamp ash that weighs 4 lbs, 5 oz, Tommy will go pull one off of the shelves himself that matches that weight. Give them a call and check out their forum via the USACG page. Good luck. ;)

iareplaythebass,
    I'm orignally from your neck of the woods...nice to see some fellow down-staters hangin' out at Talkbass. :)

4. I assume the pun wasn't intended? Neck of the woods. HA! :D
    I'm such a nerd. :smug:

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Gracias dude. I've been going back and forth about doing this - all I need is time.ll is still very sweet. Such a thick tone, and has real balls when you play with a pick (which I seldom do, but I like the sound).