Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

body rounding/contouring description questions..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fiebru1119, Sep 9, 2004.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I'm having a custom bass built and I had a few questions for the guys here. I've worked out pretty much all the details except for the part about the body rounding/contouring. I'm looking to get something like this http://www.gguitars.com/images/benvort/benvort_7.jpg

** please note the bass itself will not look anything even like that so I dont want to come off like I'm copying or imitating anyone**

What I'd like similar to that bass is the body rounding. It seems like instead of being completely rounded, its more oval shaped and then flattens out along a light crease. Besides sending a picture to my luthier about it, how can this type of thing be described in "proper" terms so that he'll be able to tell what I'm talking about? I know this is kind of a wierd question but I've been having trouble explaining myself! lol.. TIA

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That looks like it was done with a standard radius/roundover bit, just not set to full "normal" depth.

3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    What he said, or else the top was sanded down into the curve a bit after routing the edge.

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Sounds like what you're actually describing is a round over that is not a perfect 1/4 circle round over, but more of an parabolic arch round over, which is easy to do and I believe (from my perspective, anyway) that you have done a good job of describing it in your original post above.

And I think I know who the luthier is you're dealing with, don't I?....

:^)~

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey again,

Just to be sure that I've finally gotten what your describing (sheesh, how dense can I be?! :p ) I put together a quick drawing to illustrate and clarify what I think you're referring to:

[​IMG]

The top pic is a fully rounded body edge using a standard circular arch roundover.

The bottom pic is a body edge using an elliptical or parabolic arch type of roundover, which is what I believe your looking for?

:^)~

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I thought he was going for this:

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    One thing to watch for is the sharper the angle at the edge the more it might "cut into" your circulation if you play sitting down. Of course that only applys to the part of the bass edge that lays on your leg.......t...... waiting to be hit by the 3rd hurricane of the season.......... :crying:

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Original poster:

So which contour was it?

9. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Hey guys thanks for all the help! You guys nailed it right on. Its exactly what the attachment that pilotjones posted but with the parabolic instead of circular edge. I made a drawing on autocad of it and the shape I want is at a slightly larger angle than a regular circle (not too much though) so its basically the parabolic/elliptical edge BK posted but with the radius bigger than the width of the body so that it makes a slight crease along the top like pilotjones posted. Heres another pic I found that shows it pretty well
    pic

Hey Grandon! Yea I think you know the lutheir pretty well ;) you got mail!

Heres a quick rough MS Paint pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks again guys!