Body shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 5, 2002.

1. I'm planning on building my own bass this summer and i'm trying to decide on a body shape.......

how much difference will body shape make in the overall sound of the instrument? i know it's important for balance and weight, but will it affect the sound at all?

yes, i did a search and couldn't find any useful info.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, if it looks like this, leave me out because I think I would only hear the pickups (and need a trauma doctor to sew stitches in my arms) -

There's much more to the sound than just the shape.

Have you thought about asking your question in the "Luthier Forum" here on TB???

Not that there aren't some knowledgeable people available these generic forums, (Hambone and Suburban come to mind). But your question is a prime candidate for the well-known luthiers who are making their expertise available to us.
  3. Ofcourse the shape of the body has got something to do with the sound of the bass..
    if you have a large body with lots of wood, it will have a different resonance than a small body with less wood, even if it's the same wood.

The thickness, materials etc of the neck also determines the sound..

it's all in the resonance..
  4. well, i had somehow blocked all the forum below the 'ask a pro' bar out of my knowledge. i have now looked through the 'ask a luthier' section and learned some other things....... thanks for the suggestion, and i apologize for making it necessary......:)
  5. Rick, that bass is by far the most extravagant body style I have ever seen. It makes the BC Rich Beast look conservative in comparison.