1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Body shots...with epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've been doing searches, but keep coming up with results that are 99% fingerboard epoxy topics. I'm interested in pics (or links to pics) of bass bodies that were finished with epoxy, either partially (to pore fill) or fully with epoxy and nothing else...

Best regards,
    Paul

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    All of my pore filled finishes are done with Z-poxy to fill the voids/pores with poly top coats. Here's a few of the latest ones.

Picture196.
    Picture152.
    Picture086-2.
    Picture008-4.
    Picture081-3.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Scott,

You're spraying on your poly, right? What's your spray gear setup?

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    I use a Matt Co HVLP gravity gun with clear coat nozzle, (I think it's a number 10) My compressor is a 5hp 30 gallon that's in bad need of an upgrade IE wore out. I'm hoping to build a small temporary add on to my shop just for spraying to hold me over till I get a new shop which will have a dedicated room. Would make things so much easier.

5. What type of epoxy are you spraying? Is it two part and how are you thinning it? It looks like you are putting a satin finish your basses, not super gloss.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    Scott, do you think the z-poxy filler would enhance the figure of a wood like flamed maple if it was followed my a low-gloss/satin NON POLY finish?

7. Scotty

Those are great looking. I really like the headless curly maple.

B

8. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Definitely not as breathtaking as Scotty's work, but here is mine:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/Anointd/S5001016.jpg
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/Anointd/S5001018.jpg
    I don't have any space to upload the pics, but here is a link to my photobucket. The body is alder with a black epoxy finish - no paint or anything. The bass was from Moses' custom shop; I think Steve Moser put this one together. The epoxy finish is really thick - about 1/8" and is really tough. I can knock this bass around with no worries at all. Best of all, it has a ridiculous amount response acoustically. :bassist: I think epoxy is a great finish alternative.

9. For pore filling, the Zpoxy product Scotty is referring to is their "finishing resin".

http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt40.html

It can be used with or without a colloidal silica filler. You can either sand back to bare wood leaving the epoxy in the pores (easiest, this is what I do) or leave a thin film all over the wood (more difficult, to avoid sand-through). Some guys sand back to wood and then rag on a dilute coat mixed with alcohol then scuff-sand before starting with the clear coat.

Hardware store epoxy won't do for this - avoid at all costs.

I have tried professional epoxy adhesive for this (more fluid) but it is very difficult to level sand - the Zpoxy is much easier to sand.

If I were to finish an entire body with epoxy, I would try Mirror Coat - but if you sand through the layers, you will get witness lines (just like with poly).

[mantra]
    Test on scrap.
    [/mantra]

10. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    It has for me, it will leave an amber tint the seems to bring out flame and quilt a little more.

11. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    I don't spray the epoxy, it's wiped on. I actually thicken it with silica to help fill the pores. The outer coats are poly or in the case of the last few Polycrylic, most of the time I use a satin or semigloss, the first bass pictured is regular gloss.

12. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Where are you guys getting your z-poxy? The only place I've seen it so far is LMII.

13. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    LMII