Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

body wood dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nick Gann, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was wondering what the dimensions of a block of wood need to be to make a body?

I have been looking at some pieces of spalted maple and was wondering if they were thick enough or wide enough. I love the look of spalted maple...

Anyway, I was talking to this guy, Ben Luzier, about it. He gets all of these pieces of wood for whatever you want them for. He has a lot of spalts and exotic wood and stuff. Here is the list of all of his current auctions on e-bay, where he sells his wood.

Ben's auction list

Thanks to all of you who help. If there is any other info you need to ask me, just go ahead.

Nick

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What you should do is first draw out a full sized plan for the body so that you know size of the piece you need.

I would say that a depth of about 1 3/4" or 4cm is pretty good, but you can use any size deopending on the weight and tone requirements you have for the instrument.

I have not worked with this wood, but I doubt that it is strong enough to be used alone, and would recommend that you use it as a facing over another type of wood.

Peace
    Nick