Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body wood for 32" bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, May 28, 2005.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm planning to build a 32" 4-string bass with maple neck/rosewood fretboard. It's most likely going to be bolt- on or set-neck. I've yet to decide the body wood. It's going to have 1/4 " flame maple top, but for the rest of the body I'm between mahogany, alder and ash.
    So, what would you use if you were about to make similar bass? I assume each of those woods would make a nice bass, that's why it's so difficult to choose.
    Marko

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Whatever turns you on. I guess I would go with Mahogany just toge tthe color contrast. Unless you were going to put some dark veneer strips between the top and body wood then you could go any direction...t

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    With a maple top, mahogany looks better than almost anything, in my opinion. I wish I would have realised that before starting my own project. The next will definately be maple on mahogany.

Just to give you an idea (AV Basses):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :eek:

Nice

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    That's what I said :). I really like that there are no pickups to cover that beautiful top. I'm guessing it's all piezo.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm speccing out a 32" 5 string at the moment, and I think I'm going to go for an ash body.