Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body wood to match with a wenge neck and brazilian rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoon, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Hello there, just wanted to ask you guys for some opinions, of what bodied wood would perhaps go well with the neck and fingerboard combo above, I'm trying to go more towards a warm tone. Some suggested body and neck/fingerboard combos would be good too, as I'm currently deciding on how to make my next bass from warmoth probably. Thanks in advance.

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Korina Limba (black)

3. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I agree with with the Korina, go with White Korina!

Nice combo!

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  6. Thanks for the replies, walnut sounds good to me, any opinions on swamp ash?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can attest that a wenge neck sounds great on a swamp ash body, but that rosewood board adds a factor for which I've had no experience...

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My new parts bass has a Wenge/Ebony neck/fb, w/ a black korina body. Next body I do, w/ probably be a white korina, w/ a lighter colored trans finish...

9. a purpleheart fingerboard? :smug:

10. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
  11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... shootin' in the dark, but...

walnut or mahogany. walnut has a bit of a deep subby kinda low end, while, mahogany is a bit fuller in the low mids to lows. heck, you could try some alder, for a more punchie low mid. but all are relatively warm, IMHO.