Body wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Selim, Feb 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Seeking to confirm what the body wood is on this 90's Fernandes. I just assumed it was alder but recently saw descriptions of same model in ash.
    Thanks -- IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4155.JPG

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Really hard to guess wood based on a photo of a finished instrument, but that doesn't look anything at all like ash to me. Alder would be believable but there are a lot of other species that it could be. If you had to pick between alder and ash, alder it is.

Gilmourisgod, smogg, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  3. Also doesn't look like some of the more typical woods from the west coast factories. If I recall Fernandes was a west coast shop, right? Anyways, I think those shops often used western cedar and poplar just due to availability, which neither match that grain. I'm leaning towards Alder as well.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Although I believe they did have an American division at some point, Fernandes is a Japanese company and this bass was made in Japan. It’s an excellent copy of a Fender jazz bass.

Lo-E and TerribleTim68 like this.
  5. If those are the two choices, alder. It could possibly be something native to the factory’s location (Japan?) that’s similar to alder and was labeled alder for marketing.

zortation and TerribleTim68 like this.
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    plywood tonewood.....

darthplagis and Williethump like this.
  7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Looks like either alder or basswood/linden.

8. Peavaria

Peavaria

Oct 10, 2018
    I always assumed Fernandes basses were manufactured in Mexico. I sort of desired one because of that. I don't know why

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's not ash. It's alder or some other wood (plenty of possibilities) with subtle grain.

Selim likes this.
  10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I nearly bought a Fernandes Jazz in the early 80's. It was a great bass but the seller was asking a Fender price for it and I passed on it.

11. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    This is ash 20210728_165710.jpg

smogg likes this.
  12. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Looks like "paint grade" Alder to me. I have several body sets in stock that pretty much look like that. I personally woodn't (soz) use it for a burst, I prefer ash for bursts. However...if I was to make a sparkle flake paint finish then this is the type of wood I'd use.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Whats the weight? Isnt ash generally heavier than Alder? I have a Warmoth Jazz and that body is HEAVY.

14. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Ash weight can be all over the map. I've had ash bodies that were among the heaviest I've ever weighed and others that were among the lightest I'd ever weighed. Alder tends to be kinda middle of the road for weight IME and more consistent. It's not light but it's not super heavy.

15. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Very likely basswood

Low8, Beej and shai-ga like this.
  16. Fernandes is a Japanese company. Depending on the age of the instrument, they used basswood a lot.

Low8 and Beej like this.
  17. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I'm curious as to why you're asking.
    Simple curiosity? Something to do with changing out hardware? Something to do with redoing finish? Listing it for sale and want to be accurate?

JRA likes this.
  18. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    This one is from the 90s.

19. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Just curious, thanks

RichterScale likes this.
  20. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Just be careful with curiosity. It breeds more curiosity. The deeper you dig, the more questions you uncover.
    And before you know it,.... Ancient aliens.

David Marti, Rôckhewer, JRA and 4 others like this.