Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body Wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Candiria, Jan 14, 2002.

1. What would be the difference in tone of a walnut with a mahogany core compared to a maple with a mahogany core?

2. the maple one would deffinitely have more bite to the notes whereas the walnut is more mellow and balanced sounding.

3. what are the +'s and -'s of maple,ebony,and rosewood fretboards?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    that also struck me as kind of weird... But who am I?

7. Ok I went to the sight U seid I woudn't regret, well Your right I didn't . Although the fact that it is In German(?) kind of threw me, I did understand two word "Demo" and "Galleri" so what the heck I look around download a song and "Hey this doesn't stink".
    Since I am on dial-up i only downloaded c-mol, but that was sweet.
    I would suggest they try different Onstage outfits, the polo shirts and short pants is so 80s haha:D

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Where does hujo live, Mike? I'm sure it doesn't say "Germany" in the left column, right? Or does it?
    ;)

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The land of treble, or of bass?;) Guess it depends on what you mean by "near"...

Back to topic:
    Maple top would probably add some treble to the resonance. While walnut would give a warmer midrange (and be prettier...)

When it comes to fretboards, I'd say ebony is too expensive to put frets on. Once fretted, the differences of the woods would be severely diminished - severely! Thus, the choise would be between maple or rosewood, whereas maple would be slightly brighter. But not more than that effect can be achieved using tone control on the bass...
    I say it's a matter of price and looks!

ducking....

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    haha, that's funny. I'll let the other guys know. But i can't really see any poloshirts? And don't dis the shortpants, stage lights are hot! :D

I'm not very proud of those recordings, but number 5 is pretty good, except for some timing issues.

11. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW, what's up with that body-wood chart? Anyone else that finds the location of swamp-ash a little off?

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, what can i say? We're dorks from northern Sweden, what do you expect? The 80's are still here you know, they never left. ;)

13. Although since that was the first Pic i looked at it was My first impression, but then I looked at your "Game faces" and heard the Music and changed My mind.

And hey i like your stuff more then ABBA, then again I like the sound of car crashes more then ABBA. :D

14. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    thanks for the kind words. :rolleyes: ;)

What is "Game faces"?

15. Musician wise it means that you are so into the Music that u can see it on your face.

16. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ah, i get it. we're making a new demo in the beginning of februari, hopefully, it'll be better.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Walnut with mahogany core uses two woods with very similar resonant frequencies. The combination is almost redundant except for the cosmetics.

The maple (assuming it northern rock maple) will contribute something the other wood can't, IMO. Maple should add brightness to the highs and definition to the lows to compliment the warmth of mahogany or walnut.

If you're talking Honduran mahogany, I would go for it by all means. Wonderful but rare wood. If it's an African mahogany, the difference between it and the walnut may well be insconsequential.

18. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    every bass I've ever tried with a swamp ash body has been warm and resonant sounding.