Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body woods for fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basso Gruvitas, Jul 19, 2002.

1. I would appreciate the input of anyone who works with a lot of different woods.

I'm having a Roscoe Fretless 5 built and I need to decide on which body wood I should use. My options are the usual Spanish Cedar, Mahogany, or black korina.

My top will be cocobolo. I've heard on several occasions that the cocobolo will add a lot of weight to the instrument so he recommends the Spanish Cedar. Keith Roscoe's first choice for fretless because it has a bit more of an acoustic sound and it's lighter. However, I have always loved the look of korina (and secondarily the mahogany).

I guess I should put sound and comfort before aesthetics, but I wanted to hear from you. What are your observations? What have you found? Any input would be very helpful.

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I'm having a fretted 7 string build from spanish cedar core and cocobolo top and back... the spanish cedar looks like mahogany both smells like cedar. It's a bit lighter in color but shows somewhat more ring growth than the mahogany does. They both have a similar tone, but the cedar is usually lighter.
    take care
    PL