Body woods for fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basso Gruvitas, Jul 19, 2002.

1. I would appreciate the input of anyone who works with a lot of different woods.

I'm having a Roscoe Fretless 5 built and I need to decide on which body wood I should use. My options are the usual Spanish Cedar, Mahogany, or black korina.

My top will be cocobolo. I've heard on several occasions that the cocobolo will add a lot of weight to the instrument so he recommends the Spanish Cedar. Keith Roscoe's first choice for fretless because it has a bit more of an acoustic sound and it's lighter. However, I have always loved the look of korina (and secondarily the mahogany).

I guess I should put sound and comfort before aesthetics, but I wanted to hear from you. What are your observations? What have you found? Any input would be very helpful.
  2. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I'm having a fretted 7 string build from spanish cedar core and cocobolo top and back... the spanish cedar looks like mahogany both smells like cedar. It's a bit lighter in color but shows somewhat more ring growth than the mahogany does. They both have a similar tone, but the cedar is usually lighter.
    take care