Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Body Woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm doing a "research project" and I'm trying to find some great woods for a grumbly and growly Warwick-esque tones. Right now, since I'm thinking Warwick-esque, I was pondering an Ash body with a Koa top (ala FNA LTD) and a Wenge neck with a Wenge fingerboard too. But, I love the look of Goncalo Alves for a body, and it's got a cool factor of like 100 becuase Smith and Wesson uses it as their pistol grip wood.

Does anyone have any experience with Goncalo Alves(Astronium fraxini folium)???

Does anyone have any better ideas than what I'm considering???

FYI, for the pickups, I'm thinking of a MM style Humbucker for the bridge and a jazz for the neck. Probably going to be a BassLines setup, unless someone has a better reccomendation. (I was also thinking a stacked Humbucker, but I dont know anything about them, do you?)

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond to this...

"...Curiosity killed the cat..."
    Well, thank God I'm not a cat,
    ~Ryan ;)

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout you just get a Warwick? :D I've heard Mahogany produces a tone similar to that of a wick, and you may want to look into that as well...

3. I actually am saving to get a 'Wick...

...Like I said, it's just a "research project" for now, and I'm just curious as to what other woods get a real growly sound. I know that Bubinga/Ovangkol/Wenge is great, but what else is there?

~Ryan