1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Body ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by miguel2u, Nov 1, 2010.

1. miguel2u

miguel2u

Mar 6, 2007
    I would like to scale up a photo of a guitar body to use as a pattern for a bass body. How can I do this easily? I have access to an old Photoshop program.

2. old school method would be to print the picture on lithograph paper, and use a projector to size it the way you want it.

other then that i don't know. you can trace the picture out and then follow the edges a couple of inches away.

3. funkomatic

funkomatic

Sep 28, 2006
    Take the photo to Kinkos and they can probably scale it up for you.

4. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have found that a bass is usually not proportionately sized to a guitar. A bass is often close to a guitar shape but stretched toward the bridge and nut. If you were to scale a guitar to a bass by using the scale length you would probably not end up with a usable shape. You may have better luck adapting the shape you are using as opposed to a complete enlargement. If you do chouse to go that route I know that Kinkos (Fed EX?, whatever) can print an enlarged copy of a thin template. Hope this helps and good luck.

5. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Scale it up for yourself by pushing shift ctrl I

6. miguel2u

miguel2u

Mar 6, 2007
    Kinko's sounds like the hot ticket.

I am extending the scale on a fretless bass and increasing the real estate in front of the bridge for another pickup. The current body shape is meh so I thought I would make something more pleasing to my eye.

Thanks for the replies.

7. Bassist59

Bassist59

Oct 4, 2010
    Washburn_AF-40V.

Hey! Coincidentally, my latest obsession has been creating a scaled-up bass body for this guitar, the Washburn AF40V. You just asked the question I was about to post!:hyper:

For this, I'm thinking I'm going to take some measurements from the pictures, make some cardboard body shapes, and refine it until it looks/feels right.

Of course, this is a special body so it might not apply to a standard curved bass body.