Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boeing's 777-200LR Breaks Record For Longest Commercial Flight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Nov 10, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They better have an open bar and meals for a flight that long ! :D

2. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    as someone who takes 12-15 hr flights regularly, that sounds like a nightmare... :scowl:

3. I saw the cutoff title "Boeing 77-200LR Breaks..." and, well, you can guess why I was clicking on the thread so hard. :D

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They took this route so that it would take that long, correct?

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The triple 7's are beast. Did the A380's come out yet? I used to be an aviation buff also, I just havent been following it alot lately.

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    This made page 2 of the South China Morning Post when it left Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok yesterday ... they went the wrong way to get to London though (I guess that was the point)

7. Yup.

It would have been less miles and flight time if they had flown over the North Pole area, but that wasn't their point. ;)

Mike

8. I know I couldn't do this!

6 hours to Ireland is enough.

2.5 hours to Florida is about my limit.

I'd love to go to Australia, but I would dread that long flight. :spit:

Mike :)

9. Yes!

The first A380 flight was on April 27th, 2005.

They're still being tested now, but I think the first commercial flights are scheduled for late 2006, early 2007.

Check it out: www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfamilies/a380

Click on Airbus A380 Tour Update.

I almost can't wait to see one of these coming in at JFK airport !!! :hyper:

Mike :cool:

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    They haven't made many sales for the 777-200LR. Not many markets for such a long haul machine. Some obvious markets such as New York - Singapore. Posssibly London-Sidney, Sidney-Dubai, etc. The bigger question is how many people want to sit on an airplane for that long. Airline economics aside, I think passenger acceptance is going to disctate the success of that machine.

I would be less inclined to take a nonstop for such a long time. The longest flight I did was 15:50. Not much appeal for me, nor is there much appeal for flying on the A380. I know I'll fly on it at some point, but I have no interest in dealing with customs with 600 other people. I can assure you that the customs hall in Terminal 3 at Heathrow in the morning is going to be a zoo when the morning bank of inbound arrivals of Emirates, Qatar and possibly Singapore pull in.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As much as I'm fascinated by the "further" and "bigger" aspects of these planes, I don't see either as "the answer". What is really needed is a middling capacity (300-350 seats) passenger jet that is capable of economically making it across the Pacific (LA - Tokyo) in about 8-9 hours. Whoever makes THAT happen will have a winner.

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    But did the luggage make it is the real question.

Mike

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Are the basses gonna make it, is more like it.

I can always buy new underwear ...

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just hope the Airbus is more reliable than their previous models. We had some Airbus A-310s after the Pan-Am buyout(bad move) and they were a maintainence nightmare.Almost as bad as our old L-1011's.We have 777's and they are working out pretty good so far. They have the RR Trent engines on them. The front LP fan on that thing is huge. 109" if I remember correctly. And they don't smoke on startup like the RB-211's did. 12,500 mile nonstop with a 2 engine jet is really impressive.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Big generalization that all Airbus have relability issues. They have come along way in getting that sorted out. Both Boeing and Airbus have had their moments in history. I remember when we took delivery of our first B767-300ER and brought it in from the factory on a delivery flight with journalists, customers, etc for the media launch of the new type in the fleet. The plane dropped off the passengerss and took off again under the auspices of a training flight, when in fact wesent it back to Seattle to address 237 identified snags. That was in 1988. Bulletproof airplanes since then. Airbus has excellent dispatch reliability

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I fail to see how a staged flight of less than 50 people on an airplane that size counts as "commercial".

Cool plane though.

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm guessin' you work for the Widget? My old man is a retired captain, flew B767-ER's out of Cincy to Europe the last 5 years he was there...bad doings lately, hope you're OK and secure.