bogus fenders popping up ALOT !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, May 4, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    lately especialy on E-BAY i've seen about 3 or 4 fake FENDER basses(jazz type)they all seem to be the same type,one pick-up(not 2)fake stickers and wrong bridge and p/up covers,am i just noticing this or is there more lately than usually,i was reading a post here tonite and there was another one listed for sale,and it seems like the people who were selling them were either fooled themselves into buying this bass at one time or they know its a fake and are acting like they dont know any better(i think they know since they have alot of auctions under their belt and make a living on e-bay)but it seems like all the bogus basses are the same kind.Were there fender bootlegs that came out that people were suckered into buying(or knew and wanted a bootleg for less money)like the fake jeans or movies/cd's they sell at flea markets.any one out there know any stories pertaining to these BOGUS fenders,i seen one myself many years ago at a yard sale i was'nt a bass player but it seemed like a decent bass,meaning it was a real bass that played reasonably well. ANY IDEAS ?:confused:
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A few years ago a bunch of bogus Stingray, Alembic and Status basses showed up at all the pawn shops in town. When I say bogus I mean they looked NOTHING like any of the above basses. They looked like a cheap, crappy bass but they just jad "Stingray," "Alembic," or "Status" on the headstock. They had them at premium prices and it seemed to me that some guy had all these fakes and went around to every pawn shop in town and took advantage of the name recognition combined with lack of basic knowledge and got some good money for them.

I think most of the pawn shops eventually figured it out but NONE of them actually lowered their asking prices on those basses (not that I would EVER have bought one). I have some sucker didn't pay good money for 'em.

brad cook
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would like to see pictures.