Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bogus Geddy Lee Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonto_Goldstein, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
  2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well, they make no pretense about it being a Fender. There was a time gap when Fender wasn't producing the Geddy, I'm painfully aware of that since I bought a used 98 when new ones weren't available, that was in Feb 2000. I suppose it's possible that Geddy worked with Dillion during that time, but I have no idea. At any rate, anybody who is very familiar with basses knows the difference.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's a dealer in upstae NY selling these for cheaper than what this guy's asking.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I bought my Fender Geddy for $560 new. It went straight from US distribution, to the dealer, then to me before anyone else had a chance to muck it up in a store so...I'd say he's asking a bit much.

Not to mention, what do 'Custom Dillion pickups' sound like? It's also got a standard Fender-like bridge on it instead of a BAII. I'd say it's a lesser bass than the Fender model, without a fair reflection in the price.

I would recommend going for the Fender model instead. At least they offer a lifetime warranty and you count on them being around a lot longer than a Fly-By-Night knockoff.

Couldn't resist the pun! :p

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Way too funny!!! :D

-robert

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Dillion also makes MusicMan copies and i dont see legal action too... but its ok.

i read some people liked them and they were before OLP.

7. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    You may be right. Maybe Geddy has worked with them. From what I read of the auction they make it sound like this is THE Geddy Lee model (IMO) - the one everybody has been talking about. I already have my Fender GL so I was just trying to point this out to anybody else that was interested in getting one.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i find that hard to believe. i'm going to post something about this over at www.geddylee.net . he should be made aware of this, if someone is ripping people off with his name.

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hmmm....just waiting till allodox comes around and says..."There not MM copies,there Stingrays.Would you call a Sadowsky a Fender-copy?"

;)

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I do. LOL. Better than the original. I must add. :)

11. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I hate seeing people get ripped off, which was my main reason for starting this thread. Of course if I am wrong and Dillion is authorized to market this bass (which I would find surprising), I apologize.

12. My wife got me a Fender Geddy Lee this past Christmas! I have been drooling over the GL since they first came out. I think that this one is very ugly! I can't really tell you why, but there is a difference!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's probably the patina of "cheap rip off" that it's practically dripping with. :rolleyes: :D.

14. Thanks John. Geddy is a rockstar of considerable integrity (if such a thing can be possible ;) and I hate to see a bunch of halfwits ripping off his name!

--jeff

15. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I've been to Dillions site and they actually make nice basses. On there site they make no claim that its a Geddy lee bass...just merely a jazz bass with block inlays....whoever that seller is, is claiming that, not Dillion.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Just as Intrepid said, Dillion is making no claim that the bass is a Geddy Lee bass. They made a copy of a 70's jazz bass. The seller put "Geddy Lee" in the title description so if anyone is looking for a Fender GL Jazz, the Dillon might come up in the search & some one that dosen't have enough money for the Fender might buy the Dillon. Personally, his price is kinda high, but that's his problem. This is Key Word Spamming & if you contact eBay, they might pull the auction.

17. its interesting that the neck binding seems right on, i wish i could see it first hand. my local scam cash just got a GL in stock the other day. so much has been made of the shaved down, super fast neck profile, i thought it was no thinner than my mia jazz i bought a year ago. awsome bass for $700, i would feel much better if i could get it for $600 though. i just need to find a good hiding place from my ol' lady.

18. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    You guys are definately right. The seller is doing a great job of misleading the potential buyers. At first glance it sure looked like it was being auctioned by Dillion. Ah, yes. The magic of Ebay.