Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bogus Ken Smith ads on bassgear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Sep 14, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    TBers,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that the person Jeff Fasano who posted 3 Ken Smith Basses on 9/12 is stealing the pictures and descriptions from sold Ken Smiths on Ebay. I would just email him directly, but he'd probably just change the pictures; I would not trust him to mail what he says he's mailing. This is too sketchy. I figured this out because the description of one of them matches the KS I just sold on Ebay almost exactly (including a random Ritter reference). I emailed him for pics, and sure enough, it was my ex-bass. The schmuck didn't notice that my ebay seller handle is the same as my email (smperry). Just to be clear, my bass was not sold to "Jeff Fasano" but to a buyer in Puerto Rico, and he received it after this ad was placed. I looked for the other pictures on ebay, and sure enough, found them in another ad. That one didn't sell, and is near his claimed location (New Jersey versus New York) but a liar is a liar.

First, look at the bassgear ads and then go here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ken-Smith-CR5M-...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ken-Smith-BSRJ-...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stay away!

Marshall :scowl:

2. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    bumping this because apparently my post on bassgear was deleted, and just want people to know.

Marshall

3. Yes, I checked Bass Gear...
    Poor ****ing cheater! Some people mus get their ass kicked to go to work and win money HONESTLY!!!
    Thanks for the info...

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I talked to the webguy at bassgear and put the post there back. It was erased because I didn't put in a valid email address (used AT instead of @ and liamg instead of gmail).

Hopefully no one gets ripped off.

Marshall

5. Notify the FBI...seriously...this is a form of mail fraud and is a federal offense.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If it's mail fraud, notify the Postal Inspection Service. This would fall under their jurisdiction. If they find it necessary, they will contact other law enforcement branches.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agree to buy it, and tell him the check will come in a package so as to mislead people that it is a check. Then tape your self up in a box, mail yourself to his house, and when he opens it, kick the living crap out of him. Then, we'll all buy you a drink, each, and you'll never have to buy liquor or beer ever again, for the rest of your life . . . .

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If anyone has contacted the above folks or the FBI about something similar, can you post and tell me who to write to? I've already spent some time on this (investigating on my own, responding to people on bassgear, etc.) so if someone could "connect the dots" for me, I'd appreciate it. :)

thanks,
    marshall

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The best thing to do is ask for the serial #. If you had not published it and didnt' answer any emails with it then he wont know it. By showing the inside of the Plate though gives all this info. Tricky biz on Ebay. Folks get ripped every day somewhere in the world.. Should be a law but difficult to enforce...

I was almost ripped last year buying a Bow. I was offered 2nd chance buying as the winning bidder didn't pay. It was at $2250. and the last bid b4 the dead bidder was 1200. I offered to pay that since his bids should be invalid as they only Jacked the Price. He said OK, but I asked him to ship it and I will pay after reciept as my Rep. is known world wide. I emailed him at BOTH Addresses in England and Germany. He said there was a problem with one. I later recieved an Email from Germany telling me I did NOT win the bid. This guy in the UK Hijacked the sale and tried to collect from me. I was lucky to be so careful..