1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bohemia After Dark - Oscar Pettiford

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Don Kasper, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I believe it was Bob Brookmeyer who once said, (paraphrasing):
    "20th century music was ruined by the advent of the Electric Guitar and the Sus Chord..."

ca.1955 - "Bohemia After Dark" - Oscar Pettiford - the Bridge is mostly C9sus. Pretty Hip.
    (Sorry, No electric guitar).

Can anyone cite an earlier example of the dreaded "Sus Chord"?

marcox and gerry grable like this.
  2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Oh man, it's been 30+ years since I heard that tune, and it is still as fresh in my mind as it was then.

Dr. Garth Jowett used to have a radio show on KUHF, Univ. of Houston, called "The Sounds of Jazz", and that was his theme music. I spent my whole college career listening religiously to that show.

Sorry, I have no idea about the sus chord. Just wanted to share a little nostalgia with y'all...

3. The first solo I learned was Ron Carter's solo on this tune...

4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Buckle up

dhm and salcott like this.
  5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Funny thing about that Brookmeyer quote is there are plenty of sus chords in his charts, particularly his middle and later stuff

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. Don Kasper

Sus Chord Update:
    The 1944 version of Stella By Starlight contains a big, juicy D9sus(13) chord in bar 5 of the form.
    (See the Theory thread re: Stella By Starlight - I've sketched the original changes there.)
    Do I Hear "1943"?

Tom Lane likes this.
  7. Don Kasper

I've tried to find and cite the interview where he said that...I've not been successful.
    He also once participated in a "blindfold test", where he evaluated the performance, arranging and writing of a well-known big band artist as sounding "...like a rehearsal band in a Mental Institution"(!).
    Funny Cat - (unless you're in a M. Institution.)

8. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    This is probably not what you're thinking about, but Debussy was sussing in the early 20th century . . . here from 1910:

Maybe you're looking more for something jazzy (that we can dance to) . . . I'll think about it.

hhalt and Tom Lane like this.
  9. Don Kasper

Yes!
    My Man D'Bussy wuz a Bad MF! Sussin' pre WWI!
    Thanks, John.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Tom Lane likes this.
  10. Don Kasper

Check out the Ab7b9sus sonority from 3:40 - 4:01. Flat-Nine Sussin', in 19- effin' -10!
    "Everybody Digs Claude Debussy" (Riverside RLP 12-290)

Tom Lane likes this.
  11. datihein

datihein

May 31, 2014
    Texas
    Hey, Turf, can you remember the name of the co-host on "The Sounds of Jazz"; his first name was David. I remember he had a jazz-focused record store in town, long gone now, but I just can't recall his last name.

12. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I love Bohemia After Dark. I arranged a slower version of it for a high school jazz band. That bridge, though, does beg for some harmonic movement, IMHO.

13. hhalt

hhalt Hans Halt Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Reno, Nv
    He was also lydianing. : ) Is that a word?

14. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Sorry, I don't remember a co-host. Probably either before or after my time.