Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bohemian by Strunal

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Jul 22, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Has anyone owned or tried out one of these? Any opinions that you can share?

Thanks in advance!

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm not familiar with this model...can you provide some more details??

I have a plywood Strunal 50/4 that I'm pretty happy with...after a little time and money spent on setup and tweaking, I like it as much as any other plywood I've played and better than most. Not too bad for the money.

3. I have a hybrid 5/35 and like it very much, but I'm not sure what model you are talking about. How do YOU feel about it?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's a lower-end Strunal 3/4 plywood (about $2000 Cdn.). I tried one out the other day and it seemed okay - it felt good and played fairly easily, although I didn't like the maple fingerboard. I was wondering if anyone had tried one because I'm curious as to how it'd sound with better strings, how reliable and durable it is, etc. You know, the things you can't tell from a short tryout.

EDIT: I don't know the model number, per se, but I'll try to find out.

5. Well, I have never seen or heard of that model. But based on my own experience with Strunal I am very happy. I have had old Spirocores, old Corellis, and a new set of Obligatos on my bass and like the way it sounds. If the bass you are looking at seems like it's what you want and is the best you have found for the money you have, I'd say go for it. One question though, have you looked at some of the better Strunal models? If they are in your price range you should look into them. Like I said I have a 5/35 hybrid and love it.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    P.S. take a look on their website and see if any of the basses match your description. They don't list the bohemian, but it's worth a look.

6. i own a 5/20w Model and i love it, but ive done alot of modifications to it also like bridge adjusters but its really is a good bass.

7. I've been playing a Strunal 50/4 for 2 years and a half. It's a really decent quality plywood bass. The sound has matured quite nicely for a plywood since I got it, but ofcourse it doesnt compare to a carved bass. It is the cheepest of the plys they make with an ebony fingerboard which I think is important to have.
    It's got a nice pizz tone, and an ok arco tone depending on the strings you put on it. It's a comfortable bass to play.
    I will soon be bringing it to the shop to get it set-up professionally to get the most out of it. It has a basic set-up right now with Full Circle pick-up/adjusters but fingerboard and bridge aren't dressed up to achieve optimum tone and playability.
    I got the end pin collar changed to a better ebony pin collar.
    The thing I'm not crazy about it is the Beechwood neck (all the Strunal plys have beechwood necks, hybrids and carved basses they make have maple necks), and the finish which is a sprayed type of laquer highly reflective finish (although they have have hybrids and carved basses in a Spirit Varnish as well as the sprayed lacquer). The purflings appear to be painted on too, but that's ok. Most of hybrids they make have real inlayed purflings.
    as for interior craftsmanship, I'm no expert, but everything seems in place. The blocks are all in place but they are not filed down at all. I guess they didn't bother filing the blocks edges closer and following the contour of the bass because after all, it's a $2500 CAD plywood bass. I haven't seen their carved basses, but I imagine that they probably spend a little more time inside the bass making it look nice inside and out. The glue-work is a bit sloppy as I can see strips of glue that sort of spread as the interior linings and blocks were glued in place, as well as glue stains. Again, this might be done because the bass is a student bass and they're not going to spend too much time inside for a plywood.
    This bass records well and sounds good through an amp. It's decent for jazz, and more of a beginner bass for classical. After all, the bass is categorized as a student bass on the strunal site www.strunal.cz
    I wouldn't mind looking at a Strunal carved bass if I get the chance. If there's anyone in Montreal that has a carved Strunal, or perhaps a Hybrid, I would love to try your bass out. If this is possible, PM me.
    later everybody,
    Mike

8. i have a fully carved one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]