Bohemian Guitars - Oil Can Bass: Any users?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Exo-Politician, May 7, 2019.

1. So I recently found these and fell in love! I ordered one and arrives tomorrow. The price is very cheap and for my current Blues band. It is just perfect.

Comes with a few different designs and with Maple or Rosewood neck.

Current price in Australia is between $260-280 USD.

Bohemian Guitars - Guitars, Gear, & Good Times

boho_basspsd.jpg

Here's the write up:

The hollow metal body delivers a unique tone, offering an open sound with a rich, “metallic” top-end. The body is reinforced with a wood frame, ensuring strong structural integrity and offering more low-end resonance tonally. This means you can gig with this instrument without any concerns, and this bass will certainly turn heads!

The maple neck provides a fast attack with plenty of bite, meaning notes will clearly “pop” and cut through the mix. The rosewood fretboard adds a strong mid-range character, with the dual single coil pickups providing a punchy, full-bodied tone.
    A volume control for each pickup lets you blend the perfect sound, with a single tone control letting you roll down for a jazz-style vibe.

Product Specs:

Model
    : Hot Sauce
    Body: Metal hollow body w/ removable back panel. Basswood frame for increased amplification and structural integrity
    Neck Wood: Maple
    Neck type: Bohemian Through-Body
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Headstock: Lime
    Finish: Natural
    Frets: 20
    Nut Width: 1 11/16"
    Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8"
    Width at 21st Fret: 2 3/8"
    Neck Thickness: 7/8"
    Scale Length: 30"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Tuners: 2R 2L screw in w/ removable keys
    Bridge/Tailpiece: Hardtail Topload
    Pickups: Single Coil, Single Coil
    Electronics: Volume, Volume, Tone
    Self-standing: This model has a built in stand.
    Inspired by South Africa. Designed in Atlanta. Produced in China.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Lol. No thanks.

gebass6 and byoung93888 like this.

3. Oil Can Bass, Markbass Amp, Sunglasses, Megadeth shirt and The Steve Miller Band. What's not to love, right?

SwitchGear and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This takes GAS to a whole 'nother level.

5. @Exo-Politician Give us your review when you receive and had a chance to noodle with it.

6. IBJammin

IBJammin

Apr 16, 2015
    This looks sweet! I love odd folk-y style instruments like this. I would totally rock this with a cajon player any day of the week!
    I don't see the bass on their site though. Just ukes and gits.

PupGoesPunk and SwitchGear like this.
  7. Hey All,

Sorry for the delay. Shipping took 8 days compared to the usual 2. It should arrive today and will post a review tonight.

8. So, preliminary views are in.

It's one cool looking bass. It's a lot heavier than I anticipated but certainly not heavy. The neck goes through the entire body/can and it very solid.

The fretwork is average, but not awful and I requested the setup with Thomastic Infield Flats which sound great but the action was left very high.

The sound is pretty good but I had all intentions of a pickup upgrade to a set of EMG's to contract my Precision for gigs.

I will give a proper review once I have played it a bit more and fix the action.

One awkward part, is the body is much thicker than I expected. Definitely needs to be played on a strap, which I would normally do anyway.

Short version:

It's a nice bass for the price and is pretty consistent for the price range. It looks amazing and is really cool. Not likely to get many gigs or play live and is certainly not dethroning my PBass anytime soon.

Nice to play. Smooth neck. So cool to look at.

Volker Kirstein and Nebula24 like this.
  9. I have one of these, and I find it nearly impossible to play for any length of time due to there being nowhere to rest my wrist/forearm plus the depth (front-to-back) of the body. Otherwise I'd concur with Exo-Politicians's thoughts on setup, tone & frets. I really like the sound it produces, and I think better pickups could give it better bottom-end definition.
    However, the fact that I can barely play two songs in a row on it without picking-arm fatigue means that's all moot :(

Volker Kirstein and jd56hawk like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Might be the perfect bass for this.

11. rickon

rickon

Sep 26, 2006
    Have a guitar, can't really speak to the bass version. Uncomfortable to play after a while. Company run by real jerks, beware.

12. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Tone is stored in the balls. Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Sorry for the thread necro here.

Saw two of these in GC today. They sounded okay acoustic. The fret work was absolute trash though.

IMG_20220215_105421.jpg