Bohemian paintsody?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 6, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I was readin an interview with John Deacon about the Fender P-bass that he uses on the Bohemian Rhapsody; the Fender P-Bass. "It had a natural colour" he explained. He said he achieved this by, stripping the pain off!How did he do this as i love that colour and would like to have it on my P-Bass.
  2. "stripping the pain off" ? what does that mean? he washed off all the blood. :D

if your talking about striping the paint off do a search on painting your bass, the subject has come up before.

i have a peavy foundation that i striped the paint off, bassicily all i did was remove the strings, neck, any hardware that i could and bought some paint stripper that you get at a hardware store. it did look at lot better than the pink paint that was on it but it also seemed to alter the sound of the bass.
  3. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Keep in mind that you might have some "funny" looking wood under that paint job.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good point, Edgar.

I stripped tha paint off of an old Electra Westone PJ that I used to have(it later got stolen) and was very disappointed in the wood hiding under that black polyester.

It wasn't ugly, but it was 3 piece and had no grain at all.

And it did change the sound of the bass for the worse. It was a soft wood, and when I took off that hard poly finish, the bass lost a lot of it's brightness.