1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bohemian Rhapsody Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by one4dabass, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everybody!
    Working session aroud Brian May's phrasing and intonation... Hope you'll like it!
    Have a nice week end,
    Mathieu
    http://youtu.be/IHT9cpdkxl4

2. That is so freaking amazing!

♫

3. Wow - you DB guys are a tough bunch

Where is the love?

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Love it! Back in my teenage guitar playing days, two of my biggest influences were Brian May and David Gilmour. Sure, they were rock guitarists, but they both played beautifully over the the changes to the song, and both were always melodic. Nicely played.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Pretty amazing. I'd still like to see you focus on more serious material. I really hope your talent matures into art later..

6. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    seems pretty serious to me. Well done!

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Good fun. Nice going.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Nice job!

9. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Great job as usual. Really enjoyed it!

10. Portphilia

Portphilia

Jun 8, 2012
    SATX
    I've never seen anybody play a bowed double bass solo on Bohemian Rhapsody. That's art to me!

11. Pretty cool, nice playing! One thought, listen close to the sustain and legato of the guitar in the song and match it by not lifting your bow off the string at the end of the notes...keep the bow in the string, and play "through" the note changes. Nice work!

12. Thanks to all of you for your listening, comments and encouragements, I really appreciate. I'll try to answer your as quick as possible:

@SolarMan, thesandman,TroyK, geoffbassist, Portphilia & MonetBass: Thanks so much for your words, gentlemen (ladies? I don't know each of you)! I do my best, day after day... Really happy you liked this.

@Chris Fitzgerald: Thanks! Glad you remembered your teenage, that's really the point, and that's how I feel too when I play it (I unfortunately never played these solo with a guitar)! And totally agree with you about your vision of these two Musicians.

@damonsmith: Thanks for your words and your opinion. Maybe never, who knows? ;) Ps: Have you ever played standards (or do you like to play it)?

@tyb507: Thanks for your compliments and your suggestions, your comment about inflexions is really relevant... I played it more the way you talked when I played it acoustic, but with the distorsion, it's difficult to control the sounds and the 'resonances', so I played it a little less 'legato'... I must to more study sound engineering...

To all of you, good week and good music! Blessings,
    Mathieu

13. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    That was awesome.

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I have studied standards, I use them in my teaching but not playing. I find them to be one of the least interesting aspects of the jazz tradition. I don't buy ANY new standard rhetoric.
    40s pop music does not translate one to one with contemporary pop music, '40s pop music was an integral part of forming bebop language. Since then, the values of pop and art music have only grown apart. In that time, there is also a wealth of amazing compositions meant to be compelling vehicles for improvisation - in this case it is interpretation we are looking at. In that area there is also a wealth of serious and compelling work for the bass as well as those ripe for transcription.

All arguments for the "new standard" are BS. The new standard ONLY has to do with social/monetary situations and zero to do with making the most compelling art the person can make.
    You may "like" some silly pop tune, but pretending it is more worthy of time and practice than Monk or Bach is pure folly.

This kind of thing just comes off as showy and cute - though technically astounding.
    That technique could be used to push the instrument and music as a whole forward, employing it for college party antics is waste of time and something you may come to regret.

15. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think our friend has indicated that this music resonates with him. Investing time in playing something that he has a musical connection with is high art in my humble opinion. The fact that you feel differently doesn't change that fact one iota.

Could this be a cheap party trick? It could be, based on the intent of the person performing it, but I see no indication that this is the case with this young man, who took the time to do this and took the risk of sharing it with the general public.

You berating his taste in music and suggesting that it is inferior to standards that you consider valid feels...well, let's just say "not cool."

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Gee, that's similar to what I thought after hearing a recording of you playing whatever it is you play. ;)

17. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Don't know why, but this really cracks me up!

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well said. + as many decimal digits as there are in Pi. :)

19. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Yikes! Well done!

20. Maybe because it's one person's opinion stated as fact?

It always really bugs me when a person acts as if they understand the reasoning behind what others do. Especially when they don't even know the person/persons they are talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.