Bohmann basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Aug 19, 2003.

1. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I lived in the Denver area in '77 thru '79. I heard Paul Warburton dozens of times. He is nothing short of great! He made a fantastic duo record with Dale Bruning some years back (with the aforementioned bass) which is definately worth the search. To my ear, he is clearly his own man, but with some Red Mitchell and Ray Brown influence.It is very exciting and valuable to have him posting on TalkBass.Who ever said he was the real-deal is exactly right!!

2. Paul, I haven't had the misfortune to lose a loved one as you have, so I don't know how it feels. I don't think I can imagine how it feels. For what it's worth from a stranger, my condolences.

Though I haven't met any TalkBass members in person, I believe the folks that frequent this side of the board are generally articulate, well informed and eager to share whatever knowledge and experience they have. There is a huge amount of passion for music in general and the bass in particular here. Hopefully, some of that will rub off and help relight your musical flame. While I don't play professionally any more and I'm not as accomplished a player as many others here, I still love to play. It's therapeutic, it can certainly brighten the blackest mood for me. I sincerely hope you regain your passion for playing, it would be a shame to lose that love too.

(Chris- DUFI?? Is that the plural of doofus?)

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Exactly! Good to see I'm not the only one up on my contemporary Latin. :)

4. Again, you guys are really great....Thanks again

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Wow, that IS a unique looking instrument. Thanks for hosting/posting the pics, John.

7. This is just a thanks to John Sprague for the very cool job of hosting the pictures of my Bohmann bass. My friend who was going to do some close-up digitals for me ended up in the hospital. He's OK and we'll do that at a later date. For now, these are some gig shots and a promo shot. As i told John, sorry about me being in them, especially the one of my nostrils. I did use my nostril hair clipper before the gig! There will be some shots of the purfling, ribs and back.
    Anyway, John thanks again. Thats the neatest photo program i've ever seen. Paul

8. Sorry..The pics are under Basses/Bohmann basses
    Paul

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No problem...it always takes a while to get the hang of this software. The new thread has been merged.

10. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It's my pleasure, Paul. It gave me a chance to experiment with some Flash authoring technique that I've wanted to try. I know you kid about the nostril shot, but from an artistic standpoint that's actually an excellent photo!

I'm looking forward to getting the rest!

11. Crash Gerfitzwald-
    Contemporary Latin? Now there's an oxymoron. Only doctors use it- they don't speak it, they just write it illegibly...

Paul, that's a spectacular looking bass. The carving around the f holes is beautiful. Very unique. Look forward to more pictures, with or without nose hair.

Even the bridge appears different. Looks like there's an additional set of S- shaped cutouts between the eyes and the heart. Is this unique to Bohmanns?

(Reggie Jackson? I'm no slugger, but I'd love to have his car collection.)

12. Eric, the bridge is a full size 3 hearts bridge. They are available through almost any bass supply, including Lemur. The f/holes are great...almost anywhere on this bass where there was something to do, Bohmann did it! My friend luthier Bob Ross put similar carvings on the F/holes of our first two basses.
    Whenever he comes to my house he camps out right where I keep this bass and just stares at it! I'll ask John to host some digital pictures of it that i'll take just for everyone on TB. Jeff and the rest of our resident luthiers will be amazed. Bob Branstetter has seen it, but usually in a dark club. As he said in another mail, it sounds as good or better than it looks. You know when you get a bass where the E string just growls and the sound seems to GROW when you pull the string? That gives you an idea what the B string on this bass sounds like. It's been recorded a bit, and i'll be glad to post a discography soon.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Respect

13. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, yeah-more pics of the bass. Great. But in the meantime how can I see the picture in your avatar in a larger than postage stamp size? With my strongest glasses it appears to be one of the finest examples of arcoerotica I have seen.

14. Jeff, put your glasses away. Not only is this one of the best examples of Arcoerotica, to my knowledge, it's the only.....
    Tell me how to post a picture and i'll send out a better version. This is actually a postcard I got in Berlin when I was playing there.

15. Jeff, just sent "Arcoerotica" to your email. Damn, now everbody's gonna be screaming for one. I think i'll charge. I will get a big one up when you guys tell me how. Wait! Let me put that a different way.....

16. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Email it to me Paul, I'll set it to start off the Bohmann photo set.;)

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021