Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boil strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderjazzbas, Nov 5, 2000.

1. fenderjazzbas

fenderjazzbas

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi there!

I just wonder; How long time do you boil your strings??

Some bassplayers says about 5 seconds, another says up to 15 minutes.

I really don´t like this green/black dirt at the strings, and it is really expensive to buy bass-strings here in Sweden.

Gentle Giant

2. I get round the problem by using Thomastik Infeld flats, which sound great and don't seem to wear out...

I found, in boiling strings (which I did for about 5 minutes), that they very quickly got grubby again...in a matter of hours. Others have found that they become brittle and break easily.

Not a very useful answer. I apologise.

Andy

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Boil them with a little vinegar until you get a lovely thick treacle on the surface of the pan, the strings will look better if not play better, I also scoop the layer from the top and apply it to toasted bread for a tasty, nutritious breakfast!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :eek:

Sometimes it's hard to tell when people are kidding!

Seriously, though, if you choose to boil your strings, don't use a pan or pot you use for cooking.

Will C.:cool:

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Will C, you've gotta be English with your grasp of irony! But to avoid the dirty pan, you could use the microwave! It's quicker as well!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, I have the complete Blackadder series, the complete Ab Fab series and was in the UK when Not the nine o'clock news was on. The microwave part was british, the rest was scary...

Tally-ho, pip-pip and Bernard's your uncle!

Will C.:cool:

7. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    The vinegar bit's true too! As for the rest, I'll take the underpants from off my head and the pencils from out of my nose.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's Bob - Bernard was the Prime Minister's Parliamentary Private Secretary - or something like that!

And the hunt sabotoeurs will be after you.......

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I just revently within the last month started to boil my strings, I usually boil them about 20 minutes, I was really suprised to see that it brought back a decent tone again, I've also never had a boiled one break on me

10. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    It's true taht they won't stay "clean" for very long. I boil them for about 5-10 mins and then I bake them dry in the oven at about 450. All you achieve by doing this is prolonging the inevetable....they'll only last another week at best until you have to repeat the process....providing that they survive the first grueling encounter.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I strongly suggest not to boil strings in hot water!
    It'll ruin your strings in no time because of the oxidation (rust!) and thermal stress.
    It's better IMO to use alcohol or some other solvent to clean the strings. put the strings in a closed jar for 10-15 mins or over night. I use my strings for up to 12 months and still get Wooten/Hamm-like brilliance out of them.

BTW: this topic was also dicussed some months ago.

12. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I tried boiling my strings ONCE, a complete waste of time.
    the only way I know of to get the new string sound is with new strings.