1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boilde linseed oil on Spector Rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist22, Jul 18, 2007.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    Hi
    Would Boiled linseed oil be ok if i put it on a spector euro Neckthough bass fretboard?
    Its got the pearl crowns so i'm worried it mite pop out or do somethign funny...
    Thanks

2. Nope, Linseed oil is just the ticket. Wipe on a nice thick layer with a cotton rag (old T-shirt, etc), leave it to dry for about 5 miutes, then wipe off the excess with a clean rag. Brings out the grain like you wouldn't believe.

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Boilde linseed oil is the right choice, I always use it on my fingerboard, go for it ;)

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    You'd be better off with a high grade lemon oil.

G

5. Lemon oil is said to dry out, and permanently damage a board if used over a long period of time, But I suppose It's down to personal preference in the end.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Spector actually recommends lemon oil on the fretboards and on their natural oil bodies.

7. robgator

robgator Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Urbana, Illinois
    I've been setting-up my guitars for nearly 20 years and have used lemon oil on all of my guitars (6-stringers acoustics and electrics, and basses), two mandolins, an old open-back banjo and more. So far, so good with lemon oil.

Rob K.

8. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals

Urban myth. Lemon or orange oil are both fine on rosewood boards. NB. make sure it is pure, natural oil, with no additives. The solvents and alcohol that are added to many lemon oil-based furniture polishes are the culprit and the reason for this oft-mentioned warning about using lemon oil.